Thursday, August 7, 2008

CHAOS!

So here is what my studio looks like after a month of making props for The Music Man, getting plans together for summer camp, and going off to a kiln workshop. Today I actually worked in here in a tiny little clear space on the floor building this loom for Fabric art and printmaking camp next week. We are going to make miniature versions of this loom for each camper. This will be the class loom that everyone can have a turn on. I did this one year and the end result was beautiful.

My poor drafting table.............
I really enjoyed weaving today. I haven't done this in a long time. If my body doesn't hold up for pottery, I guess I can always work on a loom. One problem, the whole time I was weaving I had ideas for pots going through my head.
I also made some Adinkra stamps so the campers can make some African inspired fabrics
For sculpture/mixed media camp, week after next, we are going to make stick weavings, because I know I am going to have a bunch of fabric left over and I have some ceramic beads left over from camp last year that we can weave in with the fabric. I was leaving the theater on UNC's campus last week and some summer student had thrown out all of their very colorful sheets next to the dumpster, so of course I had to stop and pick them all up. I really like the thought of making things from what others throw out. Things seem so much more useful that way.

2 comments:

Joy Tanner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joy Tanner said...

Thank you for your compliments about my work. I'm glad you had a nice visit in Bakersville. John Britt is quite the character, isn't he?