Friday, September 19, 2008

Craggy Crunch

Isn't the light amazing in the afternoons right now?
Enough with the pleasant, on to the whining..........what SADIST created High Water Clay's Craggy Crunch?! I picked up a bag on Tuesday and made tea bowls, then made all of this today. My hands feel like I have been scrubbing them with coarse sandpaper! It has a great texture when you get finished and I will say that it is good for keeping you from messing with your pots. two or three throws is all you can stand! It doesn't seem to hold up to much else. If I tried to work with a bowl or cup for awhile, they would just collapse on me. I had to use a lot of water to keep my hands from bleeding, but honestly, isn't there a better way? I am going to put some in the wood fire in October and will load some in the gas kiln. Will be interesting to see what happens. I will probably love everything and have to keep using the stuff!
Also, you may notice, I can't make more than two of anything to save my life. I get two done and then it's oh, hmmm, wonder what this will do if I do this............... one of a kind pieces is going to be my mantra. No dinnerware sets for me.

I like the course texture of this clay, if I can toughen my hands up some
This bowl kinda sucks, it's pretty wonky, but it was the last three pounds of Craggy and I just wanted to get it over with!

2 comments:

Brian said...

Reminds me of the time I had some Riverside Grit leftover from a handbuilding class. I thought I'd just use it up on the wheel.
It felt like I'd grabbed hold of a bench grinder.

clayman said...

Well, I, Brian McCarthy of Highwater Clays, would be that sadist. Craggy Crunch contains a variety of grogs making up approximately 20% of its ingredients and was designed primarily for tile, sculpture and large pieces. If you like the look but not the feel you should try Aurora.
Riverside Grit was designed for the same types of work as Craggy but for cone 6 oxidation firings.
Keep on potting, but take care of those hands.