Tuesday, November 11, 2008

blahg..........

I'm really just not into the blog thing right now. I've been spending a lot of time with Wesley and her band, transporting, feeding and general moral support. The guys spent the night here on Saturday night and we had a great time with them. I have had some conflict with getting paid, long boring story, conflict in my mind about what I really want from my pottery, another long boring story. I hate all of the Earthenware I have made, love the clay and the shapes but the glazes were piss awful bad. Very disappointing because I was loving to throw it. I didn't really love it enough to keep trying out glazes, no patience for that at all right now. All of the craggy crunch clay turned out great in the wood kiln, sucked in the gas kiln. So, I have had multiple highs and lows and my emotions need a break. Tonight, I sat in my studio and touched every one of the pots that came out of the wood kiln. There are no two pieces that are alike, and I was reminded of all the kids I teach. I love every single pot, just like every single kid, each for a different reason. Each pot has some unique quality that makes it special to me and I'm not ready to part with any of them yet. I want to study them and learn from them and see where they take me. I finally realized tonight that I am ok with not making matching sets of anything and I like that my pots are never the same and they are sort of a one of a kind thing. My attention is just way too short, and I'm ok with that now too. So, I want to get enough stuff made for the wood firing Susan and I are doing the day after Thanksgiving, I 'm taking Susan Filley's glaze chemistry class at Claymakers, I'm going to get to work on my kiln and then take a break from making pots for a little while to sort all of this out. Oh yeah, and I am the Chatham County artist in residence next week for the Pittsboro Montessori school, so that will be way fun! We are going to do a sawdust firing at the end of the residency.

4 comments:

Judy Shreve said...

Tracey - I find after going through what you are going through right now - there is tremendous growth. Don't feel blahg - you are in the middle of critiquing your work & eliminating what isn't from your heart. I think that's a great place to be - not fun while you are in the middle of it - but so necessary to continue doing your best work.
Enjoy your daughter & your residency!

Tracey Broome said...

Judy, you are so right, I have seen tremendous growth and the critiquing is helping a lot. Just trying to sort the jumble in my mind is taking some getting used to! Right also that I have eliminated things that are not from my heart. Aren't you wise!

Sister Creek Potter said...

I loved your post--straight from the heart. Very personal--seldom seen in blogs. Thanks for sharing. Gay

Tracey Broome said...

Gay, it must have been the full moon, I have been feeling so strange this week!