Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Plate decorating

These are my two favorite decorated plates out there on the blogs right now. Above, Blaine Avery
and below Po-Wen Liu. I just took workshops with both of them and really like their approach to pottery making. They are very thoughtful and have unique approaches to surface decoration. I don't really like making plates because of that big space you have to decorate. My friend Laura Farrow is making some great plates too. I'll try to get some photos of them next week on the Orange County Studio Tour. Looking forward to that!

7 comments:

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Great plates! I went to Po-Wen's blog and there's a whole post on the techniques used to make the plate. Nice!

cookingwithgas said...

I love these- I have done a bit of slip and leaf decorations, using leaves from my yard. I really like how she lays down the pattern.
And the plate of Blaine's is just great

Tracey Broome said...

Glad you saw Po-Wen's blog, he is such a nice guy and a very good instructor. Meredith I remember seeing some leaf pieces from you, I was thinking about them yesterday when I saw Po Wen's plate.

Laura Farrow said...

Thanks for the plug, Trace. See you Friday!!

powen liu 劉博文 said...

Hello everyone!
Tracy,thanks you for introducing me to so many friends. It's my 2nd year living in North Carolina. I am looking forward to meeting other wonderful potters!!

Linda Starr said...

beautiful plates; funny, I love plates because they do have such a big flat space to decorate.

Blaine M. Avery said...

I'm with you linda, love the flat surface! Bowls and plates are a decorators dream. However I haven't always felt that way at first your a little timid until you settle in to you own shoes.
Thanks again Tracey for the plug!