Well I had a little pity party with Brandon Phillips this morning! At least I'm not sick like he is, but I think we are in about the same frame of mind this morning. Everyone go over to his blog and give him some virtual hugs!!! So here is the damage assessment. Some of you mentioned some possible causes. First, yes I did wash the bisque, every piece, very well. the clay is Phoenix from Highwater. I fired to ^05, ramped up 150 degrees per hour, very slow, for 10 hours. However, at 1200 the kiln started climbing fast and shot up 400 degrees before I knew it. I slowed it back down, but maybe this did something. Almost everything was Temmoku, sieved well. I have decided to work with one or two glazes, get them dialed in, before I try others in this kiln. I used this same glaze in the last firing with beautiful results, not one pin hole. I had ^10 flat, top and middle, some reduction, not a lot, but ok. I looked back at my firing log and the last time I fired this temmoku I had ^11 down, so maybe it wasn't hot enough? But I thought temmoku could go to 9 or 10. Not everything had pinholes. The mugs had one or two, a couple of bowls had none, all fired in the same bisque. Luckily, I don't trust this kiln yet, and I am not putting a lot in it at one time, so I didn't lose a huge amount of stuff, but enough to piss me off. It's still $$ lost that I don't really have.
here is some of the pinholing, temmoku is the most difficult thing to photograph!
can you see the pinholes in this mug? Am I being picky, would you sell this?
This was a test, and of course had no pinholes and came out beautifully. Why wouldn't it? This is temmoku with a reduced amount of red iron oxide.Quite nice, with my first practice at slip trailing, which I probably won't do again, but it was fun to try. Sorry Blaine for the rip off, but I had no idea what to draw so I just went with your demo :) The tray was made from a hump mold I made in a class demo, it works pretty well.
This is the only little bowl that survived, I like it with the Raku, sort of solves my functional pottery issues with this raku glaze
This was another test, the bowl was screwed up inside, so I dipped it in temmoku and then in a Nuka test I have. Looks like it needs more heat, but it's a bit funky. So that's it. Thanks to all for your comments. As soon as I unloaded this pile of shit the first thing I wanted to do was talk with my blogger friends. Who else would understand better than all of you!!! Thanks for being out there, wherever you are, hugs to all!!!!! and by the way, beer and chocolate solve all my problems, ya'll :)