Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Eternal Optimism

I finally got some sleep last night. Going for 48 hours without sleep and hanging out at a hospital for 7 hours somehow allows your body to collapse at 9pm and sleep for 10 straight hours. Bliss! I got lovely mail yesterday that I didn't find until this morning. Yesterday was a complete distraction. Carole Epp from Musing About Mud blog (see my sidebar) sent me this wonderful cup as a blog contest prize and I am having some Chai tea in it as I type. Also, my friend and Raku student, Charlotte sent me this beautiful card made from a photo she shot. She is making some great cards with her photography. Such a great idea, I have got to start doing that. Carole, I love the cup!!!
I got my kiln loaded yesterday afternoon, believe it or not, and I made a great pot of soup, sort of Meredith Heywood style. Threw in whatever I had on hand. Isn't this swiss chard crazy?! So the soup: Italian style canned tomatoes, mushrooms, lentils, corn, butter beans, fingerling potatoes, swiss chard, garlic, vegetable broth, olive oil, hot sauce and onion. Soooo good with fresh loaf of sourdough bread. Gerry is in a lot of pain today and pretty spaced out on Percecet. I'm babysitting a bisque that I am firing verrrrry slowly to see if I can solve the pinholes. Also trying a 10 minute hold at 1100 degrees. Fingers crossed, the big terra sig pot is in there.........
Soooo, considering the day we had with the kidney thing, I had a good day (not so for Gerry) except for feeling helpless that I can't stop pain. Hopefully this thing will pass soon because Gerry leaves for the Olympics in less than two weeks. YIKES!!!!

7 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

That soup looks great!
I hope Gerry gets through this soon.
It is not fun at all.
Good luck with the firing and you are living in the land of plentiful cups!
Lucky girl!

Hollis Engley said...

I echo Meredith's sentiment, on the soup and on Gerry. All of it, actually. But especially Gerry's situation. You don't want to be on the plane to Vancouver still waiting for that stone to pass.

Trish said...

Tracey..wow..what a time you are having..I hope that stone passes soon!.(I have been away for ten days and feel really 'out of the loop' - trying to catch up this afternoon)..Love the big coil pot - I need to make some pieces for a sawdust firing too - ..Health to all. T.

Peter said...

So sorry to read of Gerry and the kidney stone/s. Do hope it all sorts out really soon.

Good luck with sorting out the pinholing problem, sometimes hard to work out if it is a clay or glaze or temperature issue.

Hope you both get some good sleep.

Linda Starr said...

Hope Gerry gets well soon and good luck with your firing, I love the look of red swiss chard it is so beautiful and unreal.

Tracey Broome said...

Thanks for the good thoughts everyone, I have passed them on to Gerry!! He is feeling much better today so far.....

DirtKicker Pottery said...

Sorry about Gerry. I hope he feels better soon.
Such a totally cool mug. Lucky.
The bread, the soup, the mug.. I take them all :)