Thursday, February 11, 2010

Burnished balls

Sorry I couldn't resist! thanks for the comments on the previous blog. Sometimes I dread reading the comments after a night like that, but I do appreciate your patience with me and all of you that find humor in it all! As Dylan Thomas said, "do not go gentle into that good night....rage, rage against the dying of the light".That my friends, is my plan, to rage on to the very end!
Here are the orbish things I made on Tuesday. Hollis had mentioned Maria Bosch and her coil built work and these are sort of inspired by her. The ones she makes are huge. These are rather small, but I like where this is going. I'm going to test fire them in a saggar next weekend. I like the way the light plays on them and they are fun to make. If they fire well, they will get bigger I think.

I have been in a very organic mood this week, this pod is a rattle, it was supposed to be a pinch pot but it got very thin and collapsed on me so I went with it, folded it over and made it a pod. Sometimes you just got to let the clay be what it wants to be. My class was fun today, so many hand builders! These girls have so much enthusiasm and I love watching them work. The class is over at 1pm and everyone hung around in the studio until 3pm. I just never get paid for the time I put into the things I do. I hope Karma balances this all out one day! I got a great email from Cindy at Dirtkicker blog the other day showing a potter that had one hand, and he threw beautiful pots, so I have great hope for my student that has one hand. She is making some wonderful slab work, next week we are getting her on the wheel!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i likey..just remembered a form i have been wanting to make, will show you soon! fresh organic good!

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Love the pod rattle!

Judy Shreve said...

Tracey - this work is fabulous! I don't know why you want to mess around with functional -- this work is creative & interesting and wonderful!

Linda Starr said...

Ever since I bought that rain stick I thought of making a rattle, love your pod rattle, great stuff, can't wait to hear about the saggar firing.

Tracey Broome said...

Thanks ya'll.
Judy, functional? I don't know, I just feel like when I'm at a show they want mugs and bowls ya know! I have been thinking more and more that I should just look at galleries, or just do shows where people aren't looking to buy a mug. Plus, I look at that wonderful functional work all of you are doing and I want to play too!

Judy Shreve said...

Tracey - you have to do the work that speaks to your soul - to your heart -- people don't need more mugs -- your work will fill their need to surround themselves with beautiful things - and that's a tremendous 'function.'

Hollis Engley said...

Great stuff, Trace. Can't wait to see what it looks like fired.

ang design said...

go gerry, he's on the floor how cool!! mmm gorgeous shadows in your pic too!!