Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Twelve huh?

Well, I liked Michael Kline's challenge over at the Sawdust and Dirt blog to make 12 of something today before noon. Wellllllll, here's how that went: I went into my studio around 9am and thought, hmmmm.....those bottles in my window would be so cool saggar fired and I could make a set of twelve, right, I made one and realized I needed to put terra sig on the plates and bowls I made yesterday, so I made one bottle and moved over to the coil bowl and slab plates .
They turned out rather nice...........
Then I thought, oh yeah, I need to make a bunch of small dishes because I have sold all of the ones I made. I got 4 made and was distracted by.....
thoughts of my class tomorrow and how I need to make some demo things for it. I made a slab built mug and these little dishes again I made 4 and then......
I was thinking how I alway want to make little houses and they would be soooo cool as a set of twelve in a sawdust firing, so I made a template and built a little house. Then I remembered that I was going to do a demo of a slab built plate so I made one of those real quick.
Then it was noon......and I had made twelve things, just not any of it relating to each other or more than 4 of anything. Clearly I was not intended to be a production potter! Thanks for the challenge Michael. But here is what it did to me, I kept thinking about making twelve of something and before I got 4 done, I was thinking I don't want to make twelve of this right now. I think I need to work on my focus!! I also need to do this excersise when I don't have a class the next day and am distracted by that.

10 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

it adds up in my book!
I like them all anyway you add them.
Varity is the spice of life.

Trish said...

...and through it all, you used your creativity, your mind (with the continual ramblings), saw beauty, made beauty, made twelve and wrote a great post to inspire the rest of us...it's all good.
:) T.

Kim Hines said...

i like it all, esp the textured slab plates and that little house. who cares if it all matches or is in one big set. besides he just said 12 of something right?

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Twelve of wonderfulness!

Hollis Engley said...

Pretty cool, Tracey. It all looks good to me. Of course, now you have to make 12 of each, so you can end up with a gross.

DirtKicker Pottery said...

You did good! Nice work :)

ang design said...

hehehe at least you're consistant in 4's, love ya work the terra sig is coming along nicely...

Linda Starr said...

All of those piece you made look so great. for the terra sig did you put wax or tape for the blank spots? Can't wait to see your firings, they're always so beautiful. I can never make 12 matching of anything either, I distract myself continually, even with the templates, I never seem to get to them again, perhaps when I have a dedicated studio with more room I'll become more organized or focused.

Laura Farrow said...

sweet sweet bowl and plate to go along with the other awesomeness.
xo

Tracey Broome said...

awwwwww.... you guys!! THANKS!
Linda, terra sig ? tape on the bowl, wax on the plates.
HOLLIS! 12 of everything?!? Are you kidding me?! Of course you are right, if I'm ever going to sell anything haha!! I'm getting busy tomorrow, Gerry is in route to Vancouver