Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday Raku

I tested a few new Raku glazes today with some good results, some disasters. I'll photo a few disasters later. Like I put a plate in too wet and the entire middle blew out. This tea bowl is a black that I mixed up, only problem is I don't know what I used. I think it was my Soldner base 80/20 Gerstley Borate and Neph sye with black mason stain, but I don't know how much stain and I'm not sure this is correct. I must have written it down somewhere..... heard that one before? Anyway it is wonderful and I love is, so shiny and silky. Definitely a keeper if I figure it out. The little dish below is in the same glaze just reflecting a turquoise pot.
I like making these little dishes for test glazes. I just use a large size cookie cutter and cut out a bunch of them from the scraps left from slabs I use. I stamp them so I can see how the glaze breaks and if the glaze is runny the dish contains it pretty well. I encourage my students to make little dishes to try out the glazes at the Artscenter so they don't waste so much of their clay.
This is a translucent jade green that is also very nice with lots of depth. I do have this recipe but it's upstairs and I am not walking another step right now! If you are interested in the recipe let me know and I'll get it posted later. I'll also try to shoot better pics later. Too tired right now.
Some more raku houses, look at all those pin holes...... lord!
These are interesting tests. I first was testing a gerstley borate black oxide wash on these at ^6, they were pretty rough in texture and not so great, so I put one coat of copper red on them and got these. Except for the one top right. That was a commercial glaze from Laura that I put on too thick and it went yellow so I put the copper red on it and got a beautiful dish. The ones below got two coats, too much and all were fired too low, I think I will re fire these a little hotter, they are worth a save.
So Wes and I are off to the beach tomorrow, leaving poor Gerry here to work over the holiday :(
We will probably just sit around my mom's pool for three days and read. Bliss! I'll be back Tuesday and then off to a workshop with Judith Duff. Cannot wait for that!

8 comments:

Trish said...

Good Friday Raku indeed! The black is terrific, Tracey, as well as the little dishes..yes, worth a save. I love the picture of the little black bowl reflecting the turqouise pot..cool!. I have been doing some handbuilding today..(but like you, too pooped to go back, unwrap and then take pics to post ..later). have a wonderful few days of R and R. Cheers, T.

ang design said...

looks like great firing trace hope you write down what you think that black is now and retest next time, it's great! have a nice break...

cindy shake said...

I'm lovin' those square dishes and of course your HOUSE! FAB! Happy Easter Bunny Day!

Linda Starr said...

Love the textured bowls and plates, they are wonderful and the house too. Have a happy holiday.

Judy Shreve said...

Good raku day!! All of the glazes look luscious. And the pinholes look great on that house! I'm remembering those bowls you posted the other day sitting next to these raku'd pieces -- I'm thinking it's all coming together for you . . .

Anonymous said...

Bravo,the tea bowl on the first picture is very "bling-bling".All the imprints stand out with your copper red glaze. Je les trouve très beaux !

Hollis Engley said...

Don't you love it when something works and you don't know how or why? Nice black teabow, though. And I do like the raku houses. Happy Easter, Tracey.

Sue Pariseau Pottery said...

Love the black tea bowl and the last two square dishes. Great colors. Hope you're having a great holiday.