Sunday, May 2, 2010

Haw River Festival

The Haw River Festival kicked off the Saxapahaw Farmers Market/Music Series Saturday and it was another great day of fun and selling pots. There were beautiful bright green veggies in all of the farmer's stalls, so great to see after the long winter. I had considered applying for the art sale at Southern Village in Chapel Hill. It would have been a venue likely to have customers there to spend money on art, but the booth fee for one day was more than I paid for 4 days at Shakori and my booth fee at Saxapahaw was $40. Plus you get to hear great music. Django Haskins, from The Old Ceremony,was there yesterday as well as 3 or 4 other bands that were wonderful and I met lots of fun people. I also sold more than I sold the first two days at Shakori, so it was a good choice to be there I think. Lots of Mother's Day presents were purchased, and remember my elephant piece that I made with the graffito paper? It went home with a very cool lady that was so excited about it. What more can you ask for! (PS: those of you that are reading this from the Saxapahaw Facebook post, I don't do Facebook, so feel free to comment here, otherwise thanks for your kind words on the Saxy facebook!)

The place to be at the festival is the Triple J Ice Cream tent. My tent is beside him and I get a lot of traffic while people wait on their ice cream. I don't know how much this man makes in a day, but he did not stop taking money from the minute he got there until he packed up his tent. Makes me think I am selling the wrong thing! The old building in the background is soon to be turned into an art gallery with studio space and possibly a ceramics studio. I signed up to be one of the co-op members and I am very excited. A great group of people are organizing this and I think they like to have as much fun as I do. Should be an interesting summer!
Of course it wouldn't be a festival without a parade with the Paperhand Puppet group. Parents and kids grab a flag or a puppet and march though town with the leaders playing drums and create the most magical atmosphere. These puppets are just amazing. If they are ever doing a show near you try and see it. They are great! Well, that's it for my weekend. I need to unpack the car and have some breakfast. I bought a quiche from one of the farmers yesterday so that will get finished up I think. Tomorrow I have to get busy, I have sold a lot in the past two weeks and inventory is getting low.

8 comments:

Hollis Engley said...

I want to be next to an ice cream tent for all my shows this summer.
Nice looking onions, too.

Tracey Broome said...

Hollis: I highly recommend the ice cream thing! It's homemade from Maple View farms and some of the best I have ever had. We just ate some of the fresh peas I bought yesterday, sauteed in a little olive oil with some Mexican mint that I got at Shakori. Soooo good.

Linda Starr said...

Oh those vegetable shots are beautiful, love the color in the onions; you have given me an idea to take some photos of fruits or veges and hang them in my new kitchen. A ceramics coop sounds great, to be able to work around like minded people, can't wait to hear more about it. I hope you had a great sale.

I was approached to organize a coop pottery in a quaint building in a tourist area nearby, but not sure I want the responsibility which would take time away from my clay making. Maybe in a year or so when our house is done and we're more settled. I wouldn't mind joining one, but don't want to run or organize one.

cookingwithgas said...

Tracy! Those are beautiful pictures- makes my mouth water!
And ice cream...............!!
Glad things went well!

ang design said...

aww that looks familiar sounds like a great day out trace, all those peeps and mixing it up with an art gallery too yey!!

Amy said...

Those first two pics are just goregous! Sounds like it was quite the event.

Michael Mahan said...

The puppet parade looks like a blast. The kids look like they're having a great time. Great picture.

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

Tracey,

Lovely post.
And yes, there was sugar and shortening in the recipie at the top , I'm sorry you came out with muddy rocks!!