Thursday, June 3, 2010

Bates Motel

When we were in Raleigh last weekend we had the strangest day. First we got lost. You know how when you get lost, you always end up in the very worst part of town. Well we did. Check out this motel we passed on our way to finding our way. Can you imagine what these rooms must be like. Anyway, I had Wes take a picture as we passed by because I love the roof on the building in the background. Hopefully I will add that roof to one of my barns one of these days. It looks like it's the roof to the motel doesn't it?
There are actually people staying here, eewwwwww!
and if that wasn't enough, there was an Animae convention just up the street from this place. I tried to get Wes to shoot some pics of this too, but she was afraid someone would come after us. It was a festival of freaky folks, I loved it!! Not exactly how you imagine the capital city of your state now is it!

10 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Wow, what you can't see driving around. Industrial sections are good fodder for your buildings.

Kari Weaver said...

I thought the roof in that first photo was on the motel. My college ceramics prof did a whole series of pieces on the metal chimney thingies. You never know where you'll get your inspiration.

And take it from someone whose geeky sister gets downright giddy when there's a World of Warcraft weekend, gamers who dress up in costumes to go to conventions are not going to chase anyone down. I'm sure I just insulted someone.

Liz said...

OMG. That is a great motel, but the Anime convention almost made me spit my wine!

Tracey Broome said...

Linda I ride around all the time looking at buildings, always have.Kari, re: your comment on my last post, I'm sure the discomfort you had with the braces was way worse than my stuff, you definitely need to buy some of these soaps for a reward!! Check out the new ones on Tig's site today! I wanted to park the car and join the animae folks but Wesley knew some of them and would have no part of it. Plus, she was convinced there were sex offenders there :) Hey Liz, too bad I didn't get more pictures, there was some amazing costumes there.

ang design said...

great illusion trace, i was wondering where the roofs in the background finished not it at all eh?? they looked like truly freekie costumes what fun!

Kari Weaver said...

Tracey, I did order some soaps last night! You're a terrific spokesperson.

Tracey Broome said...

Kari: So great that you got yourself some soap! You deserve a nice long soak in the bath while hubby is on his road trip! Which did you get? Hey Ang, it didn't look like an illusion until we got home and looked at the pics. Funny what the camera does.

cookingwithgas said...

I love those parts of town where you have to lock the door and pray for green lights.
I can't wait to see that roof on one of your buildings!
I past a great barn the other day with the boards peeling up and split- thought of you!

Hollis Engley said...

Pretty scary motel, Trace. But I look forward to the roof on your pots.

cindy shake said...

Getting lost, creepy building THEN Anime Conventions??!! I think I would have been reaching for the door locks then stopped somewhere (10 miles out of town) for a SEVERAL FRESH AMBERS -haha!

I can totally see you creating a peice based on those buildings.... very cool. creepy to live there but cool shapes.