Saturday, July 24, 2010

Farmers Market Saturday

I went to the Farmers Market early this morning before the temperatures hit 100 degrees. I got all of this plus some fresh mozzarella, organic pork sausage for Gerry, potatoes not in the photo, already shelled peas, and three fresh cinnamon rolls for breakfast for, are you ready? $80. I even got some figs! I love figs. Pretty much the same amount I would have spent at the grocery store, which I have not been to in weeks. With dried beans, pasta,rice,and the herbs I grow, I can make this food go a long way. I have heard people say that the farmers market is expensive, but it's just not true. I took a notebook with me and compared prices with the grocery store and it's just a few pennies difference, which I am willing to pay to keep from putting products controlled by corporations like Monsanto in my body. I know I could save a bunch of money if we could grow this food ourselves but a lot of trees would have to come down around here, and that's not going to happen, so I'll just support the folks that can grow it for me. One day.......
Plus, I really like the pretty blue eggs I get.
Wesley gets so excited when I bring food home from the market. She made this beautiful sandwich for lunch, wasa crackers, fresh cucumber, tomato, basil, spinach, and mozzarella...so pretty.

1 comment:

cookingwithgas said...

a bounty for sure- we think we should support our local growers and like you I find the summer meals so tasty and so simple.
We had a quiche with squash,mushrooms,tomato and onions the other night- free range eggs- it was so yummy!
Enjoy!
M