Thursday, April 21, 2011

Meredith's Magical Mystery Tour

The first stop on our tour in Seagrove was David Stuempfle. When I first got to Meredith's I asked where we were going and she said "I'm not telling. it's a surprise." So she drove her car and took the girls and I drove my car and took the boys and followed Meredith blindly all over Seagrove.
David met us at the gate and had coffee waiting for us. One common theme in Seagrove is "big". Big pieces of land, big kilns, big studios, big dogs, big pots. Have you noticed all of the blogging going on with these "big pots"? I could make some Freudian observations here but maybe I'll save that for another time. I don't see a lot of girls making these big pots, but the guys seem to have some sort of competition going on. Maybe I'll make a big barn.....
I have the attention span of a flea, and missed some of the tour because Meredith and I kept chatting and I kept walking around taking pictures, and there were all of these great places to plop down and enjoy the views, now I wish I had stayed still and listened to David, but maybe I'll go back when there aren't lots of distractions. Meredith had a brownie story that had me in tears laughing and my daughter is now writing about, get her to tell you, it's great!




This is where I really wanted to sit, Have you ever seen a more inviting porch? Seagrove folks are living the life. Potters may not be rich in dollar bills but their lives are rich beyond words. Their land and their homes are so warm and friendly and they just seem to wrap you up in comfort. Makes me long for the day when we can move out to our own farm and watch the grass grow....
I am heading out to Shakori Hills festival in a bit so you won't hear from me until Monday.
One quick shout out to the Hillsborough Arts Council. They are making arrangements for the artists that got rained out for the craft fair last weekend to have a free space at another upcoming barbeque festival later in May. I think that is beyond fair and so happy to not be out that booth fee after all and mid May will be a great time for another show. Thanks for that!
I'll have some photos from Shakori next week and continue on with the Seagrove tour, stay tuned...

12 comments:

Judi Tavill said...

So great!!! Wish I was there...

Lori Buff said...

Yay for the Hillsborough Arts Council, it sounds like they get it and are really interested in supporting the arts.

Sleeping Village Pottery said...

wow... the Seagrove folks really do seem to be "living the life". Wonderful. What a neat tour to be a part of Tracey. You've got some cool friends!
And that beautiful, big white dog!... makes me just want to give him a big hug. I've got a dog that looks just like that one, only about a third smaller. He's a sweet boy.

cindy shake said...

What great news about the replacement show! I'm loving seeing the photos of the people and places the M3T are visiting!! Great stuff.

Hollis Engley said...

Yes, Tracey, we're thinking of a "Big Pot" tour next year. Think we can attract women potters as well as the guys?

Julia said...

Those BIG pots of David's are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your photos.

cookingwithgas said...

Now there were no brownies harmed in the tour (or potters for that matter!)
I love that you would follow me blindly around and we might have to get this tour thing down.
I am enjoying all your pictures since I was too busy sitting and TALKING- that southern in me.
Best for the show and tell Wesley I will have to work on more material for her.
M

cookingwithgas said...

PS that side porch has a lot of tales it could tell.....

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Meredith could start a side biz conducting "Pottery Tours"... serving brownies on porches during the breaks. Tracey, thanks for sharing all of this. Delightful!

Judy Shreve said...

'Delightful' - is right! I've really enjoyed the pictures -- and can just hear all that talking and laughing!

Michèle Hastings said...

i heard the brownie story and it's a good one ;-)...
check out Donna Craven, she is in the Seagrove area and she is a tiny woman who makes BIG, beautiful pots.

Peter said...

Thanks so much Tracey. Wonderful to see such happy people and pots!