Friday, August 26, 2011

Ups and downs and widespread panic

Yesterday evening the house was very quiet and I decided to play around with some decal paper that my pal Laura gave me. I have been wanting to use decals on my barns for awhile but I've never had the time to sit down and think it through without interruption. Plus, my dinosaur computer wouldn't size the images properly and I needed a laser printer which I finally bought. So the time was right to play and the results are exciting! Look for lots of farm animals to come soon, I'm digging this decal thing!

New color palette. I love the addition of blue to these colors I have been using. It makes me smile. What is it about blue.....
I had a comment on my post yesterday that I sounded negative. Well, here's why that might be so: this has been the first full week of Wesley being gone and she won't be home for another week when she has Labor Day break. Gerry is at the coast covering the widespread panic of Hurricane Irene, he has been gone since Monday and I have no idea when he will be home. And then I had this mess below to clean up first thing yesterday morning
my favorite pail blew up and so did my favorite barn. Of course, isn't it always the way. The things you like most or need for a deadline are the things most likely to not make it. How do they know? And then, as Paul Jessop wrote on his blog, I had expectations of what I thought some things should look like and they didn't so I'm adjusting to that. It's odd to me that all of the comments I got on the last post were positive remarks on the two pieces that I really don't like and will not make again. Sorry, but I really don't like them, they aren't what I wanted them to be and I don't enjoy looking at them....
I'm having lunch with my pals today and then hunkering down for the storm that may or may not hit NC. Say a little prayer that Gerry will be safe on the Outer Banks!!!! Happy weekend.

9 comments:

Lori said...

Love the sheep bucket, hang tight all will be well!

barbaradonovan said...

I love the use of the decals. Funny, I'm not interested in using them myself, but am so attracted to them on others peoples work. Argh...sorry about the hurricane panic. Don't envy y'all and am sure it will be our turn again on the gulf coast soon enough. Hope everyone stays safe!

Tracey Broome said...

Thanks Lori, I really like this bucket a lot too!

Tracey Broome said...

Hi Barbara, I have been curious about these decals for a while, like you I enjoy them on other people's work, but haven't had anything I could really see them on of my own, until now.

cindy shake said...

Yikes I have been thinking about you while watching the weather from all the way up here. Thoughts and prayers for sure.

Love the decals, but you know I LOVE any kind of transfers! You really nailed these right out of the chute. Sorry, I have to disagree with you because I LOVE your last post of those BARNS -they are FAB. Funny how our work has to appeal to our hearts -I think that's why pricing is so difficult. If I really like a piece I tend to price way too high -if I don't like the piece, I want to give it away -which makes it tough to make the house payments!! ha!

Tracey Broome said...

Jeez, those BARNS!! lol, guess I'm gonna have to love them.....

Hollis Engley said...

Yep, things blow up. A footring on a serving bowl self-destructed in the bisque kiln the other day. Shit happens. Gerry will be fine, I have no doubt

Carol Ross said...

Like you, I've been curious about decals for a while but haven't done anything about it. Your post might be the kick in the ass I've needed. Love the sheep pail! Stay safe, I'm sure Gerry will be safe, too.

Tracey Broome said...

Hi Hollis, I'm sure Gerry's fine, he has covered hurricanes on the OB for about 30 years, knows what he is doing! Carol, go for it, it's pretty easy, the hardest part was finding decals I liked :)