Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Treasure hunts

I've been going in and out of a lot of antique shops and thrift stores this past month looking for props for the play I working on and all the while keeping my eye open for interesting objects for my art.
This week I struck gold! I found this great glass door knob, the cast iron door mechanism, this green ledge thing and best of all this little silver book box with Ave Maria embossed on the front.
Finding religious icon stuff is hard here in the south, but I found this little jewel today in a local thrift store where a lot of the local hispanic population shops. Perfect!!! I'm thinking this is going to go on a barn as a door/alter piece. I'll be sad to part with it though.... I may have to hand pick who gets to buy this one so I can visit sometimes :)
Also found these bone carvings that I am planning to add to some raku beads. I love the mermaid, she may stay with me.
I took Wesley back to school today, sad to see her go, but nice to see her with new friends that she likes and respects. She is so happy and learning so much about making films. I have tech at the theater tonight and a full day in the studio tomorrow working on some new designs for my latest treasures! My cold, of course, cleared up today just in time to take Wesley back. Why is that always the way?! Anyway, feeling much better and the weekend is looking nice for the YART sale, so happy days!

9 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

can you say plaster?
I wonder if you could cast the book cover- it is a real treasure!

Hollis Engley said...

I'm with Meredith; before you sell the religious book cover, make a mold of it so that you can duplicate it in clay. Lovely stuff.

Tracey Broome said...

Brilliant idea you guys!!!! Thanks!

Laurie said...

Oh, I love the Ave Maria book! And the hand with spiral too. Don't you just love a good treasure hunt?!

Linda Starr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ang design said...

what a stash well done trace.....oooh yeh get plastered :p

Tracey Broome said...

Hi Laurie, nice to hear from you, aren't you the girl that keeps Meredith's shop smelling so great with those soaps? Hi Linda, Sadly I will never be over my antiquing addiction, that's why I do props, I get to buy them with other people's money:)
Hey Ang, getting plastered, yes! Just another thing to add to my to do list :)

Michèle Hastings said...

i would have a hard time parting with any of the carved bone pieces, they are really neat.
glad to hear you are over your cold quickly... i am feeling better but can't get rid of the runny nose & cough, it's very annoying!

Tracey Broome said...

Yeah, the cough...... I think it's here for awhile!