Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The other package

Sonia Robinson is a painter in Key West and her husband bought her one of my barns at the Carolina Designer Craftsmen Show, for their anniversary. She came by the next day to tell me she loved it and we talked and talked and had sooo much in common. She was telling me about an auction bid she had just received for porcelain doll parts. They were unearthed from a 150 year old doll factory in Germany and she said, "I'll send you some." I thought this was amazingly generous and hoped that she would, but you know how things go, sometimes you forget what you say, and best intentions get put aside, whatever.
Well, yesterday I got a package with the most exquisite doll parts from Sonia! I literally gasped when I unwrapped each one. 

 Can I just tell you that my head is going to explode if I don't get some work made soon that includes these parts of tiny dolls from Germany!?!?!?  Today I was invited to participate in a show at a beautiful gallery that I have always admired and I am thinking about these little dolls for that show!!!!  I just think that all of the stars that govern my world have lined up in exact perfect order this month, it has been such a crazy time and right now all is well with the universe here in Chapel Hill!

Here is the card that Sonia included with the doll parts. How beautiful is that! I'm very excited to know this artist and it seems she may have plans to move here in the near future. I hope so, we still have tons of things to talk about!
I feel like I am in a giant whirlwind that blew through here around October and I am inside of it, on a really fun ride. and it feels like the party just got started, so hang on! and there is that bourbon thing I just found out about when I was at Laura's studio :)

11 comments:

smartcat said...

What great gifts you have had in your life! You deserve them. Enjoy!

Tracey Broome said...

Thanks so much. We all deserve some gifts as hard as we work! Hope special gifts come your way this holiday season as well :)

Unknown said...

Tracey, we reap what we sow.
You have worked so hard and now you are getting your rewards. This blog is a great space and many of us are very fortunate to have this portal.

..You give a little love and it all comes back to you... (is that Bugsy Malone??)

enjoy this time, you're on a roll!

gz said...

connecting with fellow artists can be electrifying and stimulating!

Dennis Allen said...

Maybe a little crypt with dismembered doll parts inside?

Tracey Broome said...

Hey Scott: I think everyone we blog with gives a little love, don't you! This is an amazing group of people! GZ, electrifying is exactly the right description, other artists inspire me soooo much! Dennis, YES! I thought about cemetery shrines as soon as I saw these!

Michèle Hastings said...

oh you are gonna have fun with those doll parts. i have a friend in Kittery, Me. who has made so many cool castings of a glass head that her niece found on the beach in Maine.

Tracey Broome said...

Hi Michele, the beaches in Maine are like a treasure chest. I brought back all sorts of wood planks and strange fragments when we were there. What a cool thing, a glass head!

yolande clark said...

ohmygoodness! Lucky you! I am totally coveting those doll bits...what a fantastic gift. They look gorgeous photographed against the old wood. yay!

Tracey Broome said...

I know, I know I know!!! Yolande, for some reason I thought of you when I saw this photo, it sort of looks like your work, if you know what I mean.....

jbf said...

Congrats on making new friends (and the doll parts!). They sound like they may come from the same former German factory where Peter Lenzo gets his.