Saturday, February 18, 2012

Sheep and Stuempfle


 I was standing in line at the grocery the other day waiting on the slowest check out lady in Chatham County, so I started flipping through magazines, checking out what Martha is up to these days. Who knew, she did a story on Seagrove's very own David Stuempfle. Great article and Jeff Dean and Steffanie Martin, two of my very favorite potters (the greatest handle makers by the way) get a brief mention and photo as well. Good job you guys! Congrats!!! Doug, Hannah and Ang you might remember going to David's the day I met up with you guys when you were here for your U.S tour. (Ron and Meredith were along on that trip too, such a fun day!)
He is such a great person, so kind and his place is my dream house. One day I too will live out in a field of green with no redneck neighbors revving their engines at 7am, but I digress, sorry :)
So run to your local magazine stand and pick up the latest Martha Living.


 My news isn't so exciting, but fun just the same. I raku fired this little flock of sheep today. I pathetically
played Skyrim, trying to get an f' ing dragon bone until after midnight, so I figured today, I should make up for that nonsense and work. It was so beautiful today, the world just cried out for a raku firing and I had this order that has been pressing me to finish, so my poor customer that has been so kindly waiting can have her sweet little sheep.  I am sad to ship these folks all the way to California, but go they must, so today I will set them out on my kitchen table where I set everything until I can bear to part with it. Right now they are hanging out with the two barns I'm not sure I want to give up.
These sheep are not a constant thing in my work flow. I make them every now and then on a whim. I worked with a brilliant clay artist long ago and together we made these for kid's classes and summer camp and they were fun. But if I had to sit down and make a bunch at one time I would lose my mind. I try to make just a few to keep them fresh and they are just whimsical on the shelves at shows, although they last for about the first hour of the show and then I have no more. If I was smart I would just make stars and sheep, but then I would pull myself apart from the madness of it all! they do make me smile every time I make them though, sigh.......

13 comments:

Hollis Engley said...

I tracked down Martha in the Hyannis Barnes and Noble. Nice little piece. Nice sheep, too, though they weren't in the bookstore. Maybe they should be.

Unknown said...

Hey Tracey. I was going to comment on the last post, but I'll stick it here now! I think you have the balance about right with the skyrim thing. Me and Jakki used to sit up into the early hours playing these kinds of things. She'd do all the tracking down stuff (always losing her direction!) and then would throw the controller at me when something kicked off!! we kind of miss those days(sleep's still a bit precious!) Those little sheep are cool and i like that you only work a few each time, you get to see that freshness. nice, you seem to be walking a good path.

Michèle Hastings said...

i knew that David and Jeff & Steph were in Martha Stewart this month and I couldn't find an issue in the Asheboro Lowe's... they were probably sold out! Jeff and David have known each other for years.. from back in the days when they both were production potters. He was a big influence of our move to Seagrove. It is nice to see NC clay recognized in a national publication.
...did Martha arrange flowers in Seagrove vases and cook a gourmet meal served on handmade plates to very important people all in one day? (sorry, i couldn't resist).

Anna M. Branner said...

I LOVE the sheep of course. If only you had one spare to tuck in to a certain barn package.....

Melissa Rohrer said...

Those sheep are cute. Am reading a book right now- "Sheepish" about two women sheep farmers. (Funny)

cookingwithgas said...

next thing you know claymation!
They have personality.
Congrats on spelling David's last name correctly, so many folks get it wrong.
This is the second time he has gotten some MS coverage and let us hope it turns folks back to buying some pottery.

ang design said...

oh yeh trace one of the great memories from NC david is lovely and so genorous with his time and a cuppa!!! his sweet teabowl sits not far from me ...such a gorgeous piece with a lovely ash drip on the footring, yummy!!!!!! I'll look out for the mag would be sweet to find a copy......hey and great flock trace!!!!!

Hannah said...

Course I remember. It is a fab place David has there. Happy days. You're welcome to come here Tracey too, any time!

Ron said...

I've got to get out and get a copy. I love David's pots. He is one of my favorite people. So kind and generous. I think his work outshines many of the big pot makers by far.

Cute sheep. I don't know what skyrim is. I'll have to look it up.

Also, I've noticed that Blogger has changed to a harder Captcha system, much like the one on my site. Yuck.

Tracey Broome said...

Hey everyone,the comments got away from me before I could reply to each of you, but thanks for the comments, I'm reading and smiling
xo

Amy said...

cute sheep! Gosh, I miss raku. next time I'm closer to your part of the world and have free time, I'll be in touch. would be fun to meet you! i hear you when you say it's hard to part with certain pieces. I have several of those in my home--- and sometimes it takes a year or so. peace!

gz said...

Sheep sell!
I've had a morning making sheep heads, do the bodies and put them together tomorrow

Linda Fahey said...

every time I come by here and read, I always, ALWAYS feel happy I did. love those sheep, btw!!