Sunday, April 1, 2012

Quiet weekend

Gerry has been hiking on the Appalachian Trail since Thursday, heading back this morning, and I have been quiet and lazy. I am happy to report that I did not touch the xbox controller the whole time he was gone, I continued to walk on the vertical surfaces of our neighborhood, God, those hills!, ate no salt, no sugar, only vegetables and fruits, only one beer and some pasta Friday night at the Hillsborough art walk, and I have lost 4 pounds, yay!!
I got ten houses made last week and had a nice restful weekend. I thought I was going to get back on the wheel. I am planning a ^6 redux firing with my friend Barbara in May, but I just can't figure out what I want to throw. It's been about a year since I have been on my wheel. I don't want to make functional pottery, not really interested in Raku, so that leaves bottles and vases for the wheel, and I'm not feeling it. Yesterday, I thought maybe I would just make myself some things that I have been wanting around here. I would like a large bowl for salads, a nice toothbrush holder, a berry bowl... but I'm just not into making work to sell. Right now I am in a production mode, making the same form over and over just to get enough made for the galleries that have asked for work. I worry about the time when I get bored with this, and then what..... I know it will happen, it always does, but I don't know what I will do next, there are no other thoughts for now, so that might be good, maybe these house forms will last a bit longer for me....

4 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

Production can be very soothing and aid the evolution of your work. Even with the imitators who are out there, your work remains unique because of the time and craftmanship you have invested in this form.

Tracey Broome said...

Someone is imitating my work ?!
You are right though, I have sure put in the hours on this form!

cookingwithgas said...

wheel work- pick an item-as in small bowls and just set up a rythm and let your hands do the talking.

Lori Buff said...

Why not put a few houses in a ^6 redux kiln? You may love the results.
For me, pieces never come out as well when my head and heart are not in them. Don't throw if you don't want to throw.