Saturday, May 19, 2012

Let's try this again


 Thanks to the cat and me, the last two chairs I made fell apart, so I made three more. There is a reason things fall apart, it's like natural selection. These are much better versions although it took me the better part of the day to make them. I also made molds of the arms and legs so I can have more if I choose to torture myself with making more of them!
The one on the right is all glued back together, it's a mess, so I will just keep it for myself. Have you ever tried gluing legs on something? What a pain in the A#%!

 For all of you pottery purists out there, here is the kiln glamour shot. We loaded this very sweet kiln on Thursday, it was fired yesterday and I'm going over to help unload this afternoon.
 Barbara spent two days glazing her work, adding underglazes and wood ash, and wax resist, and it will all be beautiful. I spent about three hours dunking and pouring, and my stuff will undoubtedly look like shite, but I just want some information at this point. What's the use of spending all that time glazing with so many unknowns. But Barbara does things right, I just git er done!
I love the way Barbara has her kiln situated. It is right off her basement studio with a view of the lake. Such a picture perfect location to work. Sigh..... one day......
I'll be back later with some photos and ^6 redux info for you, stay tuned.

5 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

Hope you get the chairs figured out.They sure look nice but they do need to stay together or they will come back to bite you.

Susan Wells said...

That is a glamour shot! Perfect! So neat and clean. Can't wait to see....
I never did try gluing legs on

Shannon said...

oh, I like where the chair as body and house as head/soul/belly are going. Complexing things up, eh? Good for you!
shannon

ang design said...

oooh sweet piece trace love the colour blends!! hope its a super firing, love that kiln :)) and speaking of fire tried to set myself alite yesterday !! more on that later....all good no burns or anything

Mr. Young said...

Try making the hole for the leg go all the way through the seat part of the chair - it should stabilize the leg a little better. ( I only mention it 'cause that's how you do it with wood)