Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Work to be done

Yesterday I went to Barbara's and mixed glazes, glazed my pots for the ^6 redux. We load and fire tomorrow so I will get some images up of that firing next week. Today I have 21 houses to stain and glue parts on, will try to post those tomorrow. There are some really nice pieces. The firing was a good one!
The glaze mixing and application yesterday was not one of my favorite events. I don't like mixing glazes, I don't like glazing pots. I glazed them pretty fast, just to be done with it, so I am not holding out much hope for anything stellar. I mostly want information from this firing, I used a lot of carbon trap shino, pete's weathered bronze and weathered blue, and a glaze called peacock over the shino. Also, one cup with buttery rust over shino. Barbara's pieces will be a lot better, she is more inventive and takes more time to glaze. I just dunk and run!  This is not something that I care to invest a lot of time in right now. Maybe later, and I like the experimentation with the shinos at ^6, but I don't see myself making shelves full of bowls and mugs, glazing them and then trying to get a nice reduction. I like terra sig right now and I like my stuff that I put with the houses. But things change and it's nice to have the information and knowledge of something else...... plus it's fun to do firings with Barbara, she is forever the teacher......
more photos later!

5 comments:

Michèle Hastings said...

It's a nice break to do something different and often opens you up to new ideas. Can't wait to see the photos.

Anna M. Branner said...

I'm not into glazing either. Just get 'er done.

But that being said, don't you just love nice colorful results??

smartcat said...

Looking forward to photos.

Glaze to me is a canvas to work my designs on. I do it because I want it to be nice and even. I don't mix my own glazes. Friends who have a studio/school/shop do it for a small fee. Means I don't have to keep a lot of glaze ingredients around.

Susan Wells said...

I can't wait to see the results of the firing! And what a sweet picture of the porcelain doll with delicate woven little shirt!

Dennis Allen said...

I think there are pot makers and pot decorators. I'm with you and Anna, I am a pot maker. When I glaze,it is usually a max of 2 maybe 3 glazes for a kiln load and stand back while I do it. Looking forward to the pictures.