Tuesday, August 7, 2012

If it doesn't kill you, it will make you stronger....

 Yesterday was a full on day of manual labor and my back finally reached the limits of what it wanted to take. I can't believe how dirty my studio was. I worked hard and steady since last September and barely stopped to look around. When I stopped at the end of May, I just left things where they were and went on vacation. Big mistake.  I set up this little stand to see how it would look. I think I will like this, I love the blue color and it's very complimentary to the red and white terra sig.
 Even though I always try to clean up at the end of each day, I was still letting things pile up, shoving things under the tables and dust was settling everywhere. So I took everything off the shelves, out from under my work tables and gave everything a great big cleaning.
 One of my shelves had broken during the summer so I had to fix that.
 And I had boxes of stamps everywhere that I kept finding. Really, does one person need this many stamps?! A lot of these were experiments and many came from when I was teaching beginner and kids classes. Kids and beginners love to stamp things in clay. It's such a sense of accomplishment. I did it too, and I would put a sprig on just about anything!

 So, I got these all organized and threw out a bunch of nonsense that I have never used.
 I brought all of my pottery related books and magazines from the house so they would all be in one place
 and all of the treasures I have found this summer are starting to pile up. They need some homes.
 Ahhhh..... finally a nice clean and peaceful space to make new work.
 I got my boys together to help me, it's nice to have a little shrine for my mental space
and I ran a bunch of these bad boys off. At one point I looked down and the leg of my jeans was covered in cobweb and those nasty egg pod things. Ick, ick! I'm surprised I didn't find any snakes or bird nests, but there were sooo many spiders. They get so big by the end of summer!
So the studio is in shape, now I need to make a run to Seagrove and get some clay. But first I have to get my girl ready for college. Today we have to get her car inspected, oil changed and start getting her packed up. Also Jerry's Art a Rama in Raleigh has a back to school sale so we are going shopping for art supplies.
At least I have a clean space now. I have been putting it off for so long, but it feels good to know it's there and waiting for me next week!
ps: thanks for all the comments yesterday, I didn't get a chance to check in until last night and I was too tired to reply!! Plus, I wanted to catch a bit of the Olympics. Poor Gabby, did you guys see her? I thought she handled herself really well though!
xo

16 comments:

Cat's Ceramics said...

Your studio looks so lovely and clean! I really need to be doing that to mine....when you can't see the tools any more due to inches thick clay you know it's time.....

JLK Jewelry said...

I am so jealous of your clean studio. I have my jewelry studio at Jugtown that needs a huge cleaning organizing, and my little clay corner with my kiln at home that needs it too. Things go more smoothly, I think, when the studio is organized!

Anna M. Branner said...

I absolutely love a clean studio just WAITING for you to come back to work.

And yes Gabby. That girl is a trooper.

Lori Buff said...

That's really inspiring. It's so hard to work in clutter, dust and spider webs. Wanna come here & clean mind now?

Unknown said...

What gives with the spiders??!! They took over our place while we were on vacation- and in the house too. I find them by seeing bug carcass' on the floor~ eeewwww!

Anyway, I'll add my admiration to the gangs of your beautiful, clean studio. I swear one day I'll gut my studio out and clear out the clutter (crap) too! There really is something to that feng shui ~ cluttered space, cluttered mind.... come to think of it, maybe I'll clean tomorrow ;)

cookingwithgas said...

TB- if you are coming this way i have cruets for to look at if you are interested- plus i would love a catch up and a hug!

Sissy said...

Well done Tracey! Just try not to overdo the cleaning...potters can´t live without a nice layer of dust:)

Dennis Allen said...

If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger, but sometimes it kills you. That's why I believe in moderation in cleaning. No point taking chances.

Anonymous said...

i spent yesterday sorting through batts and fabric, it's endless! congrats on your progress & love the blue stand.

& THOSE videos! thank you for sharing them, i feel inspired & excited by the possibilities she expresses.

Michèle Hastings said...

the spiders take over so quickly in North Carolina! Your studio looks immaculate... you really don't want to see the mess we work in!

cindy shake said...

LOOK at all of your treasures!! Seeing all of your stamps makes me want to put my hands back on CLAY :) Your studio is so reflective of the lovely and creative you.

Susan Wells said...

I like your Jesus shrine. I just read the other day the similarities of the Jesus and Horus story. Both virgin births and what not. And what a nice fresh start you have for the fall bonanza coming up!

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Love the blue stand. What a great find. And who doesn't love a clean studio???!! I actually kind of like cleaning mine, once I knuckle down and do it. Usually has to get on my last nerve first.... Enjoy your girl's last few days before returning to school.

Tracey Broome said...

Hey everybody. YES! Get out there and clean those studios!! It feels good to walk into a clean space:)
Thanks for all of your comments, I'm getting behind here with my individual replies!

Laura Farrow said...

you always seem to naturally gravitate towards the good stuff at the antique/thrift stores. that's why, when we go, I let you lead the way! the shelf is perfect. xo

Tracey Broome said...

I don't know, Laura, you find some pretty cool stuff too! Maybe we are just antique magnets and we don't even know it!