Sunday, September 30, 2012

My Church

 I had a text from Wesley this morning when I got up that she had gone to church. Her campus is a few blocks away from Old Salem and they have a beautiful Moravian church there. This time of year I feel the pull of Old Salem and I'm so envious that Wesley can just walk over there every day if she wants to. I'm so proud of her that instead of waking up with a hangover from too much Saturday night partying, she got up early and went to church. When I was growing up, there was no question that on Sunday morning you got up and went to church. Same with Gerry since his dad is a Baptist minister. But we didn't raise Wes that way. When she was very small I bought a book called What is God? and I explained to her that there were many different beliefs about religion in the world and many different ways to worship whatever you believed to be "God". I felt like she should make her own choices, rather than being told what she would believe because of our beliefs. She has always been free to explore whatever beliefs she chose to have. Her grandparents have not been so thrilled that we don't go to church, but I tried. It's just not for me.

 My church is a walk in the woods, a day with my family, a good meal. I can find so many ways to feed my soul and I am grateful that my child is finding ways to feed her soul as well. My church today was in my studio listening to great music and finishing up the last of my pieces and loading the kiln. The birds were having a feeding frenzy at the bird feeder, my dog was on the floor snoring and my cat was walking around on him, and the sun was golden coming through the window. Rooster crowing next door.... bliss..... peace. Feeding my soul.....

My tools are now all clean, kiln is loaded, there's a pot of soup on the stove, and it's 5 o'clock somewhere, cheers!

9 comments:

cindy shake said...

Amen sister! ...creative minds think alike -we just put a 12 pack of Blue Moon in the fridge!!
xo

Dennis Allen said...

I think I've been to your church. Made more sense than most.

Kelly said...

Love me some Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale. Got some in the fridge right now.
I've been lurking on your blog :) Things are looking good over here.
Kelly

Anonymous said...

amen.

Peter said...

My church should be called the Chapel of the Spinning Kick Wheel! And the sacraments are sticky clay and a bucket of water! Two cats make up the choir!

Lori Buff said...

Not that's my kind of church, your hands are busy, your soul is happy and you do good for the world.

Laura Farrow said...

sun and rain, grass and trees... my church is everywhere... right next to yours! xo

Tracey Broome said...

AMEN, ya'll
xo

Susan Wells said...

Yes Tracey! Thank goodness for bringing church out of four walls.