Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Beam my warp, Scottie

 Lovely, Lovely day today. I have some beautiful pieces out of the kiln, not photographed yet, so I thought I would show you a bowl I love, made by Danny Marley down in Seagrove when he was just a kid in high school. Gerry gave me this one year for my birthday and I have taken very good care of it. It had a baby sister that Wesley broke when she was little, she cried and cried, but that was when we decided pottery could be replaced much easier than broken hearts. So I learned that day to give up pots that break, because.... they do break.
 Tonight was weaving class. I now have 9 hours in loom time, and I have probably two more classes before I actually start weaving. It's all about the set up right now. I am still loving the process and can see a time when I might be weaving things on a regular basis. Very wonderful people in this class and the teacher is brilliant. She explains things so clearly, nice and tidy and easy to understand.
Tonight I beamed my warp, at least I think that's what I did......
I'll get some photos tomorrow of some pottery that is very great!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have a collection, in the corner of the yard, of broken bowls that i can't bear to part with. maybe if i could make my own i would...

Tracey Broome said...

I have those shards too! I made a mosaic with some of them, but there are sooo many.... :)
You CAN make your own, it's easy, haha!

ang design said...

heheh hope it wasn't painful trace :P oh the new road of discovery at least you cant blow things up here... and I mean that in the nicest possible way :)) xx

Anonymous said...

sure it is! ha-ha, yourself!

cookingwithgas said...

I love that you can replace broken pots but not broken hearts.... ours broke a pot or two in their days with us.
Kick me for not getting you to meet us, or telling you about this show on Sunday. I still think clay and forget you are doing this. You would have loved all the fiber people and their wares!
Next time!

Dennis Allen said...

Can't you get a trained spider to do all this set up stuff?

Susan Wells said...

Are there as many jokes about warping as wadding?! Wadd are you warped?

Lori Buff said...

When they do an archaeological dig around anyone's pottery they will find lots of pieces of broken pots and ask lots of questions but the bottom line is, we break them by accident but can't bear to lose them entirely. I love the idea of a mosaic. I have a couple of tables I could top.
Now I'm thinking about weaving that shards into a fabric...I don't even do weaving. I'll leave that to your imagination.

just jody said...

If you ever get the chance watch the Tasha Tudor dvd..."Take Joy". She chose to live a simple life without running water or electricity and would spin and weave flax to make clothing for herself and her children. Fascinating woman!

Tracey Broome said...

Hey Ang-yes to new things that don't involve blowing them up! I had not even thought about that. The most trouble I can get into with weaving is having to start over.
M- no I won't kick you but I wold like to come to that event, let me know if there are other fiber events in the area.
Dennis- no to spiders! but the set up is really fun so it's not so bad that it takes forever to do it, quite a meditation of sorts
Susan- you made me laugh out loud! Wadd are you doing anyway, haha!
Lori- I have said the same thing about the shards that will be found one day. I have quite a collection in the woods behind my studio as I'm sure everyone does. I am thinking about clay with weaving, already have a few ideas. Last night my teacher showed us a felted wall hanging she did and all I could see were clay beads attached to it. I want to make her some to go with it!
Jody- I love Tasha Tudor, did not know there was a video, I have a couple of her books, though. I would like to be her one day :) must go find the video now!

Thanks everyone for your comments, they made me smile this morning!!!!
xo

Amy said...

I so love the comment 'we can replace broken pottery easier than we can broken hearts'--- I think that's what you wrote. so well said.