Saturday, November 17, 2012

Blog Fog

 I have had so much going on this week there hasn't been much time to sit down and blog. Sorry I have been slack on answering your comments and commenting on other blogs, but I'm just in a pre show fog and have no more room in my brain.Today was a really beautiful day, although probably a little too windy for a raku fire, but I did it anyway. I had one last batch of stars that had to be finished today so that I could have them for the Carolina Designer Craftsmen show next weekend. While I was firing my kiln, I put a few pieces in a large trash can, piled in a bunch of scrap wood and leaves and smoked them. This wall hanging is where I want to go next, I think. I do love my little white houses and barns, but oh lord I love what fire does to terra sig.
This one may end up on my wall, I really love it. But I will be making more, probably not until next year though....




 This piece is also rocking my world right now. If I decide to make more of these smoke fired pieces they are going to be limited in quantity, I just don't think I want to tend to a trash can full of burning wood all that often. Today was crazy, the wind was having so much fun playing with the flame, scaring the crap out of me!

 I have lots more stars made and some little barn ornaments. I should have made lots more of these barns, but I got bored with it all and weaving interrupted my flow. This is something I should continue to keep in my inventory though, they are really nice.
I'm still trying to find a rhythm with weaving and clay and have my first project off the loom so I'll show you that in my next post. I'm really proud of it! More later, I am going to go an have a beer, my first since October 26, but I earned one today!

15 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

Very nice stuff Tracey.You are getting great results on the stars. The house ornaments work very well too.The can fired pots look good but be sure to tell people they won't hold water, or alcohol. You can't be too safe.

Tracey Broome said...

Haha, thanks for the tip Dennis! That gives me a good idea for wall vases....

Melissa Rohrer said...

Know what you mean. I'm trying to keep up with stuff here too- glazing, glazing, glazing.
Beautiful pictures. Your show should be wonderful.
Back to glazing.

Michèle Hastings said...

I love the little house ornament... and the stars are as beautiful as ever.

Tracey Broome said...

Thanks Melissa! Glazing is the WORST!
Hey Michele, thanks a bunch!

Laura Farrow said...

the smoke fired house looks amazing! great effect for that form. xo

Vicki said...

Oh my! I can't take my eyes off that smoke fired house! So cool :)

And, your stars are the prettiest ornaments. What amazing glaze effects!

jffollies said...

I have to have a star, maybe a barn ornament also. Am e-mailing you. And love, love, the wall piece.

Tracey Broome said...

Thanks you guys! Yep, the smoke fired piece is really nice. Too bad, very time consuming, lots of smoke in the 'hood, and high chance of breakage. But then, that's what I like about it, haha!

Susan Wells said...

Oooooo. Yeah. I'm loving that smokey house and the wall hanging is Fabulous!

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

The stars are STARS! Very, very nice. Look forward to the wall hangings too.

Tracey Broome said...

Hey Susan and Patricia, thank you kindly xo :)

Amy said...

wow, beautiful!

Unknown said...

You just keep kicking it out! Nice job~

Shannon said...

oh, the pix, Tracey! they're so rich and homey. They could be a holiday greeting card set....as if you need another direction to explore--or that is, WHEN you need another direction to explore.