Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Juice

I have really been enjoying my juicer since I got it. I found a lot of good recipes here:
http://blog.williams-sonoma.com/30-days-of-juicing/
Jody asked for the recipe from yesterday. I usually just grab whatever is in the frig that looks like a good combination and toss it in. I saw someone on the food network make this green one and it looked so good, thought I would give it a try. It was really good, here's what I did:
1 cup green grapes
1 cup kale, chopped
1 cucumber'
handful of parsley (to taste, it's strong)
1 orange
1 green apple
1 stalk of celery
squeeze of 1/2 lemon
after juicing all of this I pour  8oz of cold water through the juicer, add ice to the pitcher and drink up
springtime in a glass!

you can add more of any of these ingredients or add things like pineapple, spinach or a pear might be nice. I just use what I have that looks like it would have juice and vitamins. I have not tried carrots because I don't want to deal with the orange stain

thanks again to Tig at FuturePrimitive blog for talking about juicing, I probably would have never bought my juicer otherwise!

7 comments:

Anna M. Branner said...

Never thought to add cold water! Once we are moved. And I find my juicer I'll have to try it!

just jody said...

Thanks Tracey....I'm going to give this one a try! Sounds yummy.

Susan Wells said...

I'm so glad you posted this!!! I've been wanting green drink!!! GREEN DRINK! Yum:)

Michèle Hastings said...

I am not a fan of juice, unless it's cranberry with vodka ;-), but I have to admit I have never tried a homemade one with veggies. I like the idea of eating fruits and veggies whole and not losing the fiber. I am also not really familiar with juicers, does the pulp get extracted or does it stay on your dirnk?
When John was going through chemo I made him smoothies in the blender but they were more about trying to keep weight on - lots of protein powder, milk, bananas, and ice cream. Some of them tasted really good but I can just imagine the calorie count!!!

Lori Buff said...

Back in the '70's my mom got a juicer. The juice tasted okay but I didn't like the texture. I also assume it was hard to clean so it went to the church rummage sale after a few uses. I'm hoping yours makes better drinks and is easy to clean. This does sound really good and good for you.

Tracey Broome said...

Anna, the water thins the juice a bit, it always seems a bit thick to me, plus it washes more juice through the machine
Jody, go for it!
Susan, yes this is the best green juice, so pretty too:)
Michele, my family has a problem with getting too much fiber so this is best for them and their fussy tummies. The pulp definitely gets extracted, but Im fine with that.
Lori, the juicer is not the most fun thing to clean, but it's not so bad and the trade off is a healthy nutritious drink every morning.

Vicki said...

Oh yum! Green smoothies - soooo good.
Especially with dark curly leaf kale.
I also make kale chips with the remaining bunch, yummy.