Monday, May 13, 2013

Ignore the weather

 I hope all of you had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend. Mine was lovely, did a bunch of roaming around for a few days, but it was fun.
Like many of you, I had an outdoor event on Saturday. I was driving down to Saxapahaw and the clouds got darker and darker and finally right before I got there, the rain came. Of course.... Wesley was with me and we just pretended we didn't see the large drops of water hitting my car. I refuse to be defeated by the weather this year, I am mostly going to ignore it if at all possible!
It let up just a bit when I got there and then found out they had moved the market over to the Haw River Ballroom, which is a fantastic space, an old converted mill that is now a music venue.
The band got to play on the stage indoors, great for them, the sound system is fantastic. I had a choice to be inside or under the porch and I figured it would be better outside, so I set up right at the front door. I could see and hear the band and I had a lot of traffic. Did pretty well considering the weather.

My iris bloomed for Mother's Day, aren't they pretty?
 I sold another weaving. I really need to make more, it's fun to see people buying them.... my quick and easy set up is so hippy dippy, but I don't really care. It takes me no time to set up, the market only lasts for 3 hours, so I'm not really into a big ordeal. I still made money so it's all good. I'm bringing mostly pendants and a few inexpensive items, then just a few barns, which people pick up, oohh and ahhh over and then buy an $8 dish or $15 dollar necklace. It is what it is.....
 Mipso was the band, really good, I bought one of their CD's and we listened to it on the way home.
 View of the Haw River from my table, not bad, this river smells so good, takes me back to our paddling days when I smell that smell of a river.
 I sold one of the little houses on stilts, but mostly I sold pendants...... women will adorn themselves when they can't buy food, I am convinced of that!

We also went down towards Charlotte this weekend to visit Gerry's family, his sister came along with us and there was lots of laughter and catching up. Family is a funny thing. You can go for months and not see each other, then get together and pick up right where you left off. We love each other in spite of all the craziness that comes along with being a family, we share the good and the bad with each other without shame or embarrassment.

 Wesley and Gerry gave me a beautiful orchid. They also gave me a hand crafted cedar planter box from a gentleman at the Carrboro Farmer's Market. I have been looking at them for a year or more wanting to get one. I need to go out today and pick up some herbs to plant in it. I also need to get back to work in the studio this week. Finishing up the haiku barn, it's coming along very nicely!

Happy week, all
xo

8 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

I love purple iris.
I have one in my yard as well...lovely weekend!

Tracey Broome said...

Purple iris always remind me of Easter. My moms bloom around then, mine are so late this year but well worth the wait!

Vicki said...

"women will adorn themselves when they can't buy food"... haha, so true!

Glad you had a wonderful weekend :)

Beautiful iris. And they opened on your special day too.

That orchid is just stunning!

Lori Buff said...

I was admiring the simplicity of your booth, perfect for a short show. I won't even do something less than 4 hours due to the setup/breakdown time.

Tracey Broome said...

Hey there Vicki,yes, very nice flowers around here right now!
Lori, if I didn't have such an easy set up I wouldn't do this market. The first year I did it, my set up took over an hour, that got tired real quick! I also don't bring a lot, just a representation of what I make.

Michèle Hastings said...

I think your easy booth looks great and I agree that for a short show, simple is best... and short shows are the best in my opinion!
Great that there was an alternative venue due to the weather. Glad that it all worked out for you.

Sandy Miller said...

Love the easy booth! So going there....... do I really need a trailer.

Tis the season to downsize!

That iris is the bomb, planted loads of it back in the day...... known as Caeser's Brother iris.

Tracey Broome said...

Hey Michele, yeah I love these short shows, not as depressing if you sit there with no sales, you know it's going to be over soon!
Sandy,I suppose it's hard to downsize with the type of shows you do, some of the booths seem like they are competing for best booth design these days! But,NYSE, it's all about easy for me right now!