Saturday, August 31, 2013

Sacred Objects, Sacred Spaces


 My mind is still...........


 Listening.......... waiting ...... resting..............


 Spiritual healing with my two great friends this morning, sharing coffee and pastries and travel stories and ideas and family and thoughts and dreams and inspiration and a quiet walk through town.
 I am truly blessed to have such friends.


 Susan's bookmaking from Haystack ......... inspiring........ definitely sacred objects, exquisite little books, beautifully and lovingly crafted.


 Contemplation of objects and why I love them, what makes them sacred to me .......


 Sacred spaces...... what brings me comfort and peace?



 Mind ........ body ........... spirit.............. healing.......... doors opening and closing.


 Quiet ........... rest .............. wait....... anticipate.


Consider the objects we make with our hands ........... these are things we love and keep for ourselves or pass on to others to cherish ...... they are sacred objects, thanks to my friends for reminding me of this.


An open gate and a well traveled path, nice metaphor for today.


I watched a daughter say goodbye to her dad yesterday, we shared our love and respect for him, we all laughed and celebrated the life that touched so many.

I drove home down Old 86 today after a much needed visit with my friends, feeling hopeful and inspired and grateful that I have such great people in my life.

I put in a Lucinda Williams CD, listening to Drunken Angel, that familiar dark warm wave washed over me, thoughts of my daddy, and I cried for him, cried for every single day that I miss him since he left  20 years ago. I cried for all I didn't say to him, I cried for the last time I saw him and barely said goodbye. I cried for the time Wesley never got to spend with him.

There was a time cocaine and tequila would have soothed all the pain from living with a drunken angel, but today, I just let the memories come and be what they are to me, a constant companion that shapes who I am...........

My art making has stalled, I care absolutely nothing about making anything for the sake of selling it.
 I want to make things that matter, things that comfort, things that have a connection for the person that buys something I make. My work has been like that in the past, but the making for selling aspect has me burned out.

I'm resting........

Grateful for those who are there to share this life

peace ya'll
xo

14 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

Going into business has ruined many a fine hobby.

Tracey Broome said...

True that! But if you have another business, there's no time for a hobby, what's a girl to do?,

Michèle Hastings said...

Ride it out, and enjoy the ride... once a maker always a maker. It just might be something different this time around.

Tracey Broome said...

I'm definitely a maker, just working out what to make and what to do it when it's made..... always enjoying the ride though!

cindy shake said...

thinking of you... http://artmakinginthenorth.blogspot.com/2013/09/fish-friendships-and-making.html

Tracey Broome said...

Hey Cindy, great post! Thanks xo

Susan Wells said...

I love! your banner image. Yay!!! for lace curtains, crying in the car and daughters and daddies.

Unknown said...

Rejoice in what a great job you have done with your own family; the past is the past and is therefore in it's rightful place. Nice post..

imagine said...

I think that if you start to make things just for the pleasure they bring you [and others] then you will really start to create beautiful objects. It is the right path to take.

Tracey Broome said...

Hey ya'll, thanks a bunch! Yes to making things for the love of it instead of wondering if it will sell and for how much!

Lori Buff said...

Make pots and weavings then give them away or return them to the Earth.

Tracey Broome said...

Lori,the world in my head thinks that's a great plan,but the college loan and the bank people might not find it too smart for paying the bills,haha! Ahhh, the perfect world......
I give a lot away already,hence the lack of $$ probably,sigh.

Lori Buff said...

That seems to make sense, but you have a greater possibility of making money from your art if you give it away then if you don't make it at all.

andrea gardiner freeman said...

gorgeous photos. contemplative, and inspired.

peace.

~andrea