Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Props and properties









 It's been a busy month filled with prop shopping and set building and prop making. My blog is suffering a bit, there is no time to sit down and write, it seems.

I spent all last week looking for an old straw broom for this play. I suppose they weren't made that well back then and they didn't last, I never found one. So I sucked it up and just made the damn thing. should have done that in the first place. It turned out pretty great. I had an old handle around here that I was thinking of using one day for a sculpture, but it has a new use now. I got the straw at Michael's craft store and it's a mighty fine broom now.


I have been in my little world of prop shopping for days and days, my favorite thing ever, spending time in antique stores.......ahhh.............



The play that was in the theater before us left this spinning wheel, which had fallen apart. I glued it back together and it's a perfect prop for this show. Sorry for the photo, it's dark in there! Looks like the spinning wheel's a spinning, haha!  This one might come home with me, I would like to learn to spin, like I need another craft project, ha!


We are in tech this week and construction on the set is underway. I put in a long 13 hour day on Sunday but loved every second of it.



Yesterday Gerry and I took the day off and drove up to Stokes County. A friend of ours told us about this property for sale. This ten acres backs up to Hanging Rock State Park and it could be ours. Those rocks up there are Gerry's major distraction and they could be in his backyard.
Only one small problem. We would buy this land tomorrow, but there is a shale deposit with natural gas running right through this area, and you know what that means? Yep, they are proposing to Frack this land!!!!!!!!

You know.......... I feel like I am slipping down a dark deep hole living in this country, with no hope in sight for a government that has any sense whatsoever. We could buy this property, build our dream home and retire up here one day, never to be seen again. But will the fracking cause earthquakes here? Will the ground water get contaminated? Will the trucks hauling out the poison chemicals run by our house night and day? Will I have to look at wells and storage ponds in these beautiful pastures?
ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

This spill happened recently in North Dakota, did you hear anything at all about it?



This is our college mate's new house, not bad, right? I hope they don't want to drill here, he has about 60 acres just waiting for some oil company to rape it.

So that's it for me right now. Busy busy with the theater. We open Friday night and maybe I can get back to some clay business after that. I really need to at least make some ornaments for the holidays!

8 comments:

Laura Farrow said...

wow! look at that broom!! so authentic! good job chica. xo

Tracey Broome said...

Thanks for helping with the search, pal!
It actually works too, pretty cool :-)

June Perry said...

Wow Tracey you've have been busy! Love that broom!
No, we haven't heard of the oil spill and one has to wonder why. That is big news.

cookingwithgas said...

you know- you never know....
That is a beautiful spot!
Now how to keep the government for taking it.... grrrrr.
You are in your element with the props.
XXOO

Michèle Hastings said...

working 13 hours doesn't feel like work when you love what you do.... and the broom is perfect. Maybe you can start a new business
Brooms by Broome
(I couldn't resist that one)

Dennis Allen said...

What a beautiful piece of land. I decided not to do any Christmas shows this year. I'm getting stuff done on the house and not worrying. Feels good.The set work is a lot of creative problem solving combined with a huge scavenger hunt.Lots of work, lots of satisfaction.

Lori Buff said...

I know how you feel about slipping into a black hole. You know all of the great civilizations have perished (Etruscan, Romans, ...) we'll do the same because we are greedier than we are smart.

Vicki said...

Love the broom, "witchy woman" ;)

This fracking business is seriously worrying - even over here in places I'd like to buy land. :(