Monday, April 21, 2014

Pat your head, rub your tummy


I like the way this bowl looks at this stage. It's burnished and waiting on a coat or two of terra sig. It took me years to learn to turn a foot on a bowl, I cut through nearly every bowl I made. You would think I would hate making bowls, as hard as it was for me to learn. The turning point for me was the day someone suggested I throw in the opposite direction since I was left handed. DUH! Why was I never told about this? Why does the world base everything on the right handed person?! As soon as I switched my wheel in the opposite direction, I could throw like a mofo.

Speaking of mofo (haha) I heard that word used quite a bit this evening. We are in rehearsal for Gem of the Ocean, quite the intense play, and it got rather heated tonight, lots of drama amongst us, keeps things interesting I think. Brilliant cast, crew, all good things, the play is fantastic.

I am multi-tasking, to say the least. Going in all sorts of different directions. I have bowls on my mind and want to make more. Today I went and picked up a load of sawdust from a fellow artist/woodworker for more naked raku. He builds beautiful crafts from old barns that are torn down, so I will be using a bit of history to fire my bowls, I like the idea of that. Then I stopped and picked up a corncob pipe and some cigars from a local tobacco shop and looked for an enamel coffee pot and a bunch of other props I need. Found some large buckets for our garden for 10 cents a piece at the Habitat store. Then I  picked up more soil for some houseplants, did I mention I have a renewed interest in houseplants? I used to grow them all over my room when I was in high school. I had a schefflera that lived with me from college until Wesley was in sixth grade. About 25 years?! Since we visited the greenhouse at Reynolda I have been obsessing about them. The air inside the greenhouse felt like breathing pure oxygen, I want pure oxygen in my house!

Oh and Gerry mentioned that my blog post about his mother was mean towards my mom, so let me re-phrase. Yes his mom was like a mother to me, not saying more of a mother than my mother in a mean way, just she did things differently, things my mom didn't do, and I appreciated the things she did for me. I meant no harm, but obviously it appeared that way, so does that clear things up???



I've been digging through warehouses looking for early 1900's period pieces. I need an old cook stove, kitchen hutch, sofa, chair, table, blah blah..... think I found it all at Playmakers, what treasures they have!
This is my wheelhouse, where my soul is fed. Amongst the tired and old and dirty antiques. Wonder what that says about me in a psycho analytical kind of way?

I'm pretty jacked up on caffeine right now, no telling when or even if I will sleep tonight. But I will say goodnight to you and go find something else to do. Maybe play some skyrim!
Gerry left me down here alone and went to bed, because as annoying as it is, he falls asleep as soon as his head is on the pillow..... grrrrr. What I wouldn't give.......

Isn't that the coolest chair?!

8 comments:

oldgreymareprimitives said...

whoa nellie- decaf tomorrow lol

Tracey Broome said...

I know, right?! Haha
Didn't sleep a wink!

Lori Buff said...

Wait, I was just writing about a tea pot for left handed people. Not all the world discriminates. You are correct though, it is a right handed world for the most part.

Michèle Hastings said...

You might remember that I'm a lefty as well, I throw right handed and never had a problem, but for some reason when trimming I want to use my left. I am thinking about reversing my wheel to trim. I hate trimming and that could be the reason!

Tracey Broome said...

Lori, bless you! There will be a special place in heaven for you :)
I definitely struggle with those teapots that are made for righty's
Michele, trimming right handed for me was a complete contortion act, people would laugh at me in the studios when they watched me trim :)

Trish said...

Hi Tracey... haha,yes, decaf it is!.. love the bowl at that stage too. And rambling around antique stores, such fun, such history, so many stories. Great day to you. T.

cookingwithgas said...

Hey! I just get back and find out you are in trouble again!? I get this. There are things that I learned from my mother and things I learned from my MIL. Take them all for what they are and use them as need be.
There are also things that I learned from my kids...
That stove! Why do I want it?! I don't need it, but it is a love.
Go make bowls like a mofo.
Oh- and when I was teaching I had a lefty that was going crazy trying to trim, I had her reverse her wheel. She still credits me with changing her pottery life.

Sandy Miller said...

OMG! I go to the garden for a week and miss of ton of stuff! Rock on Tracey Broome! Love the catch up tonight!!