Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Raku again.......


This is a photo of a wall in the convention center where Full Frame was held. I thought it would be good inspiration for carving clay. Can't you just see some nice white porcelain carved like this? Or some raku clay.....


I am feeling the raku bug bad these days. Must be the warmer weather and the longer days, just makes me want to be out there firing my kiln. I got out all of my old journals and went back through them, reading my notes from workshops and classes I have taken. On one page, I wrote so specifically on how to mix a glaze, even describing to myself what tare weight was, like I wasn't going to remember that! Made me laugh to see how far I have really come in this clay journey. So much learning, so much self teaching, so many mentors and teachers along the way.

The clay energy is flowing once again, it just took opening the studio door, opening a bag of clay and sitting at the wheel for awhile, feeling that oh so familiar rhythm. "Just get to work" as the saying goes....  So this week, I made a few bowls I like, some slab trays, and few pendants, and some tiles. Simple things to keep me interested and not irritated.

I got out the journals to review my raku recipes, I have them scribbled down everywhere in these pages. I do have my regular glazes very well organized, but there are lots of random notes too.  There are still a few I want to test, and for some reason, I have this interest in naked raku, something I have never really been attracted to. Funny how our tastes change. So I mixed up the slip and glaze and think I might give it a try. I think it would be fun one day to do a show with Gerry, his black and white photography and my black and white raku. Maybe when he retires we will start that journey.

I'm going to stay on this path for a little bit, explore, experiment and see what comes of it. Right now I have no interest in building little barns, they may come back one day, but if you have one, good for you, there won't be anymore for awhile. (I do owe a couple of people one, so I might make a limited number at least for them).  For now, it's all about the bowl......


6 comments:

Trish said...

Bowls are GOOD! :)..Enjoy the 'just working'. T.

Susan Wells said...

Oh Tracey your beads are magic. Up from the ground and into the sky raku love! Can't wait to see the rest too!

Lori Buff said...

I've ventured from the glazed raku into naked raku and love it. I think it helps show off the form better, and I'm into form. I can't wait to see what you make.

Laura Farrow said...

the raku bug has bitten! whoop!

Dennis Allen said...

Top pic looks like a Judi Tavil piece.Can't go wrong there. I agree with the "just get out of the house and into the studio method." Something will happen out there.

ang design said...

woohoo!!!!