Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Universe of Me

 Ok, it's time..... time to move to my own Universe. Planet Tracey has been in orbit around Wesley and Gerry for 30 years now and I'm feeling like it might be time to move to my own solar system. Wesley is working fiercely on the independence thing, needing me less and less and Gerry is on planet Associated Press, getting ready to go into shooting basketball every night and not being around... even when he is around..... just sayin'

So, let's talk about ME! I have to get out of the house more. You can only sit around in leggings and flannel shirts for so long and then you realize you are one major fashion tragedy. I took a hard look at my closet yesterday and it is a thing of woe. Time to make some changes. Do something different, stop planning my entire life around two other people. Everything I have done for thirty years has been focused on my family and their happiness and success. I have been the mom eating the burnt toast.

My pal Laura invited me and Wesley out to her studio to make prayer flags this weekend. This has now introduced a new obsession! I love making these flags! I got out all of my fabric stash, dusted off my White sewing machine that my dad bought me when I was in high school, and I spent the entire day yesterday happily stitching away. What a nice gift to myself. Making for the sheer joy of making. I didn't think about who would buy these, how much would I sell them for, where would I sell them, how would I photograph them for Etsy. Nada.... I just made....... bliss! Look at this happy mess! This room has not looked this creative in a year.


Here is Laura's prayer flag on her screened porch. Laura makes art for herself, alot. I am going to take a cue from her and start making things for just me or to give away. I hardly ever make anything without thinking of how much I am going to sell it for and who the customer will be.
Resting that for awhile.....

little raku beads and sticks from the Linville Gorge wrapped with embroidery thread
Wesley's flag, made with photo transfer paper and bleach stick

 Here are three I made yesterday, yes the photos suck, I only have an iphone now. Yes I live with a professional photographer that has thousands of dollars worth of camera gear, but I have an iphone and two broken point and shoot cameras. The cobbler still has no shoes....


Wesley came home for the weekend to finish up her Fulbright grant and get a little quiet from school. We had a great weekend together making and talking. More happy mess downstairs!

 

Wes gave me a tiny lap loom for my birthday that she got at Old Salem and I have been weaving away at night while watching TV. I have been holding on to a precious ball of yarn and strip of fabric Cindy, from Handstories blog sent me some time ago. Not knowing exactly what I wanted to do with it, not wanting to waste it. I finally used the materials and wove a little hanging this weekend. I used a couple of my raku beads and stuck in a chicken feather just for fun. I tucked it in the box of food and things I sent back to school with Wesley for a surprise. It really looks much nicer than my photo, ugh.


The best cup I ever made


Another yarn I have been hoarding. I bought this at a fiber festival last fall. I made little mats for my cups and tea pot, so cute and so quick, I don't get too overwhelmed by the size of the project this way. I have a problem with instant gratification. I start a project and I want to see the finished thing before I hardly even begin, so I stay at it until I can barely see anymore. Things like puzzles, knitting, weaving, painting...... I have a problem if they are big pieces..... this little loom is perfect for self control!


Also continuing to figure out this soap thing. Still don't have a clue how to get a really great fragrance, mine are ok, just meh..... but this last batch is soooo nice otherwise. I used sea clay and red moroccan clay, hemp seed oil and rosemary powder from my garden. They are soft and silky and I cut them in big chunky bar sizes so they feel like they are really special. I also made some little guest soaps, just experimenting with sizes and shapes. I ordered some new essential oils, gonna try a different path. The citrus is just not working, the fragrance won't stick and it is gone in a week. I'm going to try some more earthy oils that have more lasting properties and see how that goes. I do like the citrus, but its a waste of money to add these oils and then have them fade so fast. One of these days, it will all come together, they are getting better and better......

Now, off for some ME time!
peace y'all
xo

9 comments:

Lori Buff said...

It sounds like you have a lot of creative things happening in your universe.

Anna M. Branner said...

Making for yourSELF? What a concept. :)

Michèle Hastings said...

Looks like a perfect weekend in a perfect universe. I am missing my art journal project now that it's done. It forced me to step away from clay and stretch my imagination.

Debbie said...

I teach a high school world geography class and have been thinking of an art project for next spring when we go to Asia. These look like a possibility. Any chance you know of any links with directions, information, history of them, etc??? Thanks! They're gorgeous and I would buy one of them!

Anonymous said...

Oh, it all looks great! I love seeing the yarn in action & knowing it's traveling to Wesley is wonderful. Good luck in creating your new YOU world. I've been daydreaming about it over here…(but also knowing I'll be sad & a little lost when the boys grow up).

Tracey Broome said...

Lori, it's about time I got creative, right?!
Anna, took me long enough to figure this concept out, but it's my new path for sure!
Michele, make more art journals, just pick a topic, there are endless possibilities!
Debbie, email me and I'll send you some tips and links.
Cindy, the yarn weaves beautifully, so much nicer than the cheaper yarn that came with the kit, Wesley loved it:-)

Tracey Broome said...

Debbie, here is one good link for prayer flags
http://www.prayerflags.com/download/article.pdf

Vicki said...

Haha! Good for you, Tracey!
I well know that orbiting around loved ones and sacrificing self.
We moved from my much, much loved little farmlet in the country, to the second biggest city on the other side of our continent so that hubby could get better work choices (fair enough) and so our son - jazz drummer - could study at a good music school.
I was lost and empty for so long, torn from my sanctuary. Don't know if I'll ever find anything like it again...

I'm still in, "making for, and selling to others" mode with my ceramics - have to be for now.
But I sooo get where you're coming from. It's very important to remember and nourish oneSelf.
Creative chaos is cathartic - enjoy the release :)
Love, love the flags!
And, your soaps wrapped in burlap - rustically gorgeous. When are you selling? :D

Dennis Allen said...

Glad to hear you are having fun. Keep it up.