Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Don't let the fire go out



Two years ago today, I was packing my car and getting ready to go set up my booth at the Designer Craftsmen Guild show in Raleigh. I was so happy to have been juried in to this guild. The year before was my first year in the guild and I had a big show. I sold so much I was giddy. Flash forward two years. I have made no pottery in a year, I don't even want to. I have a part time job now. I look forward to going, I truly like the people I work with. It's fun, I learn something new every day. It's not the life I imagined, it just sort of came along. I gave it a try, and I like it. Who knows what new journey this will bring. I'm just going to go with it and see what happens.

 It's interesting, I'm not the only one going out there and getting a job. Several bloggers have recently written about new jobs. The bad news is, artists and craftspeople are clearly struggling to support themselves. The good news is, those of us that have decided to supplement our incomes have been able to find jobs that are good fits for us. Its even nice to see that those of us over 50 can still be viable in the workplace. As a craftsperson, I have a tremendous list of skills. They don't always translate in the "real world", same for many of you, I'm sure. But there are places we can find a fit, and I feel very fortunate to have this new job. I fit in really well with this gang of twenty-thirty year olds. We even play the same video games, ha! The other day I told Wes that I was the oldest employee there but the most immature. Her reply? " I don't doubt that one bit". But she said it in the kindest possible way :-)
It's good I never made a five year plan. My life seems to change directions every week or so.

And now tomorrow, instead of driving to Raleigh with a car full of sculpture for Christmas shoppers, I will be going to a funeral. Gerry has been asked to be a pall bearer. His father will be the minister offering gentle words of comfort. Wesley will be coming home from school. We will have a lovely Thanksgiving together and be thankful for the blessings in our lives.

I wish all of you a very happy week and best of luck with your jobs, whatever they may be. I'll be back in a few days. Lots to do right now.....
Xo

2 comments:

Michèle Hastings said...

Happy Thanksgiving to the Broome family!

Sandy Miller said...

Happy Thanksgiving Tracey and all your brood!
We went turkey-less this year too…. although not vegan.