Thursday, January 1, 2015

The promise of a new year


Yesterday on New Year's Eve, I drove to Asheboro to have lunch with my good friend Meredith from Whynot Pottery.  Many of you that know Meredith have met her through our blogging and you know that she is like a warm and cozy blanket that just wraps around you with comfort and ease. We don't see each other that often, but when we do, its a great visit. We had lunch at one of my favorite places, The Table. Meredith is like my own personal therapist. We have very parallel lives and she gets what I'm saying, 100%. Its so great to to have a friend like that.

Monday night, Gerry and I had dinner with some other good friends. It is so hard this time of year to fit in all of the invites and parties and visiting with friends. Gerry and I are not much into the party thing and rarely show up for one, but we do like to have a great meal with friends. I feel very blessed to have these friends to share a meal and good conversation with. 

This is what I hope for the new year. Time with friends. Good food, healthy family, laughter, happiness.


Last night I was going to write a post about my new year's resolutions. I sat here at the computer and tried to come up with something, all the time wondering why we wait until the first day of a new year to make promises and or changes for ourselves. Why not make a change on August 5th, or June 18th. Why wait until a new year begins? 

I couldn't think of anything I want to resolve to do differently. I even looked at other blogs and tumblr to see what others were doing that I might do also. Nothing...... I already eat as well as I am going to. Yep, I have a meltdown every now and then and stop at the Sonic drive through for a footlong hotdog with chili and mustard and a large Dr. Pepper. Yes, I eat chocolate for breakfast and that is not going to change. But I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, I have kept off most of the weight I lost doing Weight Watchers and I feel good. I exercise when the mood strikes, but I am active most all the time. I will never stick to a disciplined exercise routine, why resolve to do it now? I don't take medications. I have a new job I love. My family and friends are well. So what do I put on my list?

This time last year, we were anticipating the arrival of the monks. Their stay with us last February taught me a lot about compassion and kindness, and if I were to make a list of resolutions, I think it would be to behave more like my friends Tashi and Jamphel. Whenever I find myself judging someone or thinking an unkind thought, I think of the monks and how they would act. Maybe I will resolve to be more like them.....




This was the sky yesterday in Asheboro. It was a clear blue, not a cloud around, then the planes showed up, then the sky filled with clouds of odd formations, just out of nowhere, forming from the contrails of the planes. 
This happens frequently over our house. No one believes me. I'm not making it up. We can sit on the porch and watch it happen.

I don't know..... just sayin'....... 

I hope everyone has a fantastic 2015. What do you resolve to do this year?

peace y'all
xo

7 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

I've resolved not to change a thing.I've been on this path too long to want any big detours. Happy New Year

cookingwithgas said...

I say we see friends more, laugh more and go straight from lunch to coffee more.
Love you much.

Tracey Broome said...

You and me both Dennis, why change now!?
M, love you bunches, lunch was soooo fun!! you are my hero
xo

Vicki said...

Happy 2015, Tracey!

Love what you say about your friend, Meredith - such a warm, beautiful explanation for a true friend. You're very lucky - as she is to have you...

I don't do resolutions - they never resolve :)

I like your simple, heartfelt words. There is much wisdom in them.

Contrails. I find them, and the clouds that form from them, oddly disturbing...

Tracey Broome said...

Hey Vicki, a very happy new year to you. Yup, what up with the manufactured clouds?!?! and yes, Meredith is the best!

smartcat said...

A Happy New Year to YOu, Gerry, and Wesley.
I have no real resolutions, but have promised myself that I get studio time first, not after house stuff and all that
BTW, the pink Carharts are absolutely cool!

Tracey Broome said...

Thanks so much, the bibs are pretty dang cute!
Happy New Year to you too!