Sunday, April 26, 2015

22 years


22 years ago, on April 25th, this girl came into my life. She has been the biggest part of my life for 22 years and now she is about to graduate college and set her sails for untold adventures.

Wes came home this weekend to celebrate her birthday with me and Gerry. We had gifts for her, but this was the gift she gave us. Time together to share good food, laughter, stories, watching a movie and just sharing precious moments together before she goes out there in the world and starts her own life.

I am sitting here on the sofa this Sunday morning, down throw across my lap, cat curled next to me. I have a pot of hot black tea and my new Michele Hastings mug. The white twinkly lights I never manage to get down after Christmas are on, the house is quiet. Gerry and Wesley still sleep. The house is warm and cozy as I listen to only the rain fall outside, and my clock chime every 15 minutes. Is there anything more I could ask for in this life?!

I got a raise at work this week. I have been given more responsibilities. I have done an audit/review of our pricing on gift items, I have written a blog post for our website (that's a reach, right?!). I have been asked to come up with a great Mothers Day display for next week. I'm going to work more hours. This new journey if fun and interesting. The other day Michele asked me if I miss pottery. I do, but let me tell you what happened this week.

I went to Raleigh to find Wesley a graduation dress at Anthropologie. She had seen one she liked and  I went searching for it. I happened to stumble upon a Seagrove Pottery shop in the perimeter shops of Crabtree Mall. Who knew? Usually I would have gone to Seagrove and shopped with my friends. But there it was, and how do you pass up a pottery shop? I went in. And this strange thing happened....

I haven't shopped in a store for pottery in awhile. Honestly, for the past few years, I have pretty much grown sick of art in general, especially pottery. I realized why after going in this store. When I walked in a rush of old memories came flooding in. The joy I used to get seeing pottery came back. It's hard to explain the way I used to feel when I was around pottery, but you guys know what I mean.
And then it hit me. I was looking just for the joy of looking. No longer was I judging a glaze, or a handle or a trimmed foot. I just loved the work for what it was. I wan't thinking, oh I could make that, oh those would sell, wonder how they got that glaze to do that, hope they aren't beside me at the next show, I'll never sell anything, blah, blah..... when I was making work to sell, there was a constant conversation in my head when I went in to a shop that sold art. This time, my head was quiet and let me enjoy just looking. I bought two mugs for Wesley's birthday and a small batter bowl for myself. It was a revelation!

Life is full right now, so busy. Wesley will be moving home for the summer, and then plans begin for her trip to India. Who knows what we will be doing on April 25th next year!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

good morning, Tracey. Sounds like a nice peace of mind to be in.

oldgreymareprimitives said...

I have said it before but I repeat. It is wonderful to hear a friend be so happy and content

Tracey Broome said...

Hey y'all, yep life it pretty dang great these days. Hope its a long pattern!!! Thanks :0

littlemancat said...

What a joyful place to be - I'm happy for you, Tracey. And oh the excitement of Wesley's adventures coming up. Best wishes upon her graduation!
Mary

cookingwithgas said...

Sweet. Miss seeing you and your girl.