Saturday, December 5, 2015

At work....

Saw this great window display at the local Anthropologie this week. There was a time it would have totally inspired me to get out to my studio and make something. The Chatham County Studio Tour opens this weekend and I am so glad I don't have to be getting ready for it. My arm would never make it. But I do miss the excitement of having new work and sending it home with new owners....

Working in retail is a whole other  business and it is actually fun to help customers find the perfect gift for someone. I have loved getting the store ready and having it look festive for Christmas shoppers. I have actually enjoyed shopping for Christmas this year too.  I think the trick is to get out early and not go on weekends. Since I work on weekends, this is perfect for me. I do need to get out and see some artists now though. Enough with the mall!



I'm now selling my soaps at the store. I only brought in 30 bars to see how it would go and I sold four bars the first day, so I think it will be a hit. They are decadent, with skin nourishing ingredients and a fragrance of sweet orange. The soap lathers incredibly well and smells really nice. People seem to be liking them, I have a basket of free samples that are getting a great response. 



After my hydroponic lettuce harvest, I put in 18 arugula plants and I have been snipping larger leaves to bring home. My coworkers are also snipping, and the plants continue to grow and put out new leaves. It is by far the best tasting arugula I have ever had and every leaf is blemish free. I am completely hooked on the idea of growing greens indoors all year round!

That's about it, just working, counting the days until Wesley comes home and thinking of things we can do in the short time she is here. I do wish she would miss the east coast enough to come back, but she has her own life to live. I just stay busy so I don't have to think about it!

6 comments:

smartcat said...

I thought for a minute there that you were making houses again.
Even though you sound happy to be away from clay, your buildings were something special.
Toes crossed that your arm improves steadily.
Enjoy your time with Wesley.

Vicki said...

I really do think that's the answer... stay busy.
And, your life is full of new experiences and future possibilities.
Like they say, "one door closes..."

Your soaps look gorgeous! The labels have that warm, old fashioned feel that makes you want to buy, knowing they'll be good for you.
Would love to smell them.

Source Arnica ointment - the good stuff from a reputable health store - and get Gerry to massage it in to your arm and shoulder blades - often the source of the problem.
You can also massage it into your wrist, forearm and elbow - the origin is often far from where the pain presents itself.
Try it for a couple of weeks and see how you go.
I swear by Arnica. It's been a saviour many times after injury, and is always on hand in my cabinet of herbal goodies :)
xx

Tracey Broome said...

Ahh, no not my houses, these are cardboard! My arm is literally a PAIN! but tiny improvements every day, such slow going though...
Vicki, my acupuncturist suggested arnica and I completely forgot about it, good to be reminded, I'm getting some today!
My shoulder is the source, but it is pinching all sorts of nerves..... ugh.

Lori Buff said...

I’m glad your soaps are a hit. You put so much care and love into everything you create that I’m not surprised folks would like them.

Michèle Hastings said...

Glad to hear you are selling your soap!
and that arugula... beautiful. It's one of my favorites. So good and salads and soups.

Sandy Miller said...

Your soaps are beautiful and bet they fly off the shelf!! I sooooo need the hydroponic system! I looked it up on line and you are right! Affordable and easy….. way better than crawling into a frozen hoop house every winter! Happy Holidays!! New Moon today, happy dance!!