Thursday, April 30, 2020

Day 5 Creating Sanctuary This house..... (last one)




This is my sanctuary. I found that trying to follow the Creating Sanctuary book to create a space for reflection, intention, rest, whatever was more difficult than I thought. Did I want a space in the garden, in the house (which room) on the porch? My whole house IS my sanctuary. When I was traveling for my work, the minute I turned on to our road off of the interstate, the tension in my shoulders eased off, my body softened and I couldn't get home fast enough. This is the house I have wanted most of my life and I am perfectly happy not having to go anywhere. The lights are soft, the wood stove warms us in the winter, the windows let in cool breezes in the spring, the porch is a sheltered place to enjoy a gentle rain...... it is my safe place.


This is how the yard looked when we first bought the house. When we got Shasta, we fenced in the front yard and it created another defined "room" for us. More opportunity for herbs, flowers and outdoor living space. 


 Our house is not fussy, we cook outdoors sometimes, we track dirt in the house, I don't dust as often as I should, the pine floors are scratched beyond repair, right now as I look around this room, there are coffee mugs and books piled on the table, several pairs of shoes lying around, dog is on the bed asleep and sort of wet from her walk this morning, and a load of clothes in the washer is waiting to be taken out. This is a house that is lived in.



Sometimes we even find Shasta perched on the dining table for a better view of what is going on outside. This is her house too. Sometimes the chickens come up on the porch. They like to hang out with us.



This house is a place where Wesley learned to drive a tractor, where she helped me can tomatoes last year. Where Gerry can decompress from a life as a photojournalist with the news media. A place where I can slow down.  A place that eases demons.


This house has also become our refuge from a Pandemic. It is where we eat all of our meals, grow our food, protect ourselves from an unknown enemy. A contagious virus. I feel so blessed that we found this house several years ago and it is the thing that keeps me sane now. It is my shelter from the storm, my sanctuary. And I am grateful every day for this amazing house that protects me and my family!





8 comments:

oldgreymareprimitives said...

I remember your journey to finding it- the disappointments along the way and then ..you are where you were meant to be.

Anna M. Branner said...

So pleased for you that you found this place! Definitely a respite for this time and this world.

Tracey Broome said...

Truly we went through absolute hell getting this house!! It was worth the battle , but I never want to go through something like that again!

Michèle Hastings said...

This house seems perfect for you! Many years ago my brother who lives in Alaska, came to visit us in NH. He stayed at my sister's house for a few days and then with my family. When he arrived I apologized that my home wasn't as fancy or as neat as hers. I will never forget his reply... "Your house feels like home. I am not afraid to put my feet up on the coffee table."

smartcat said...

It’s so wonderful to see you back on your blog.
I feel the same way about my house and land. It is my refuge and place of peace at all times, but especially now.
Kudos to Gerry for continuing to do his job in such stressful times and venues.
BTW the photo of him with President Obama is one of my favorites.

Sandy Miller said...

I live in a very lived in house too. It is always wonderful when someone stops over and very comfortably sits on the back patio or the kitchen table and no words are necessary. They don’t see the piles or dust or boots piled high. In the Spring and Summer it’s gets a lick and promise clean. Because my energy is outside...... Your house is wonderful and the light is mind bending❣️ I remember the battle you wrote about and glad so much has washed away and you are now home. Be well and stay in the garden! 💞💚🌱

Trish said...

Hi Tracey.. greetings from Alberta.! I just found your blog again.. so good to see you posting your wise thoughts. I hope you continue to be well amidst this madness. I like the 'creating santuary' idea. I will look up the book. We all need some quietness at the moment...it looks like 'things' will open up later this month. Personally I think it is too soon for some areas, but time will tell.
Good luck with the garden. Spring is finally arriving here, but no perennials up yet.
Stay safe and well.
Cheers, Trish from Alberta

cookingwithgas said...

such a great house and space, if you have to stay home, this would be the place