Thursday, February 7, 2013

Journal Pages

 Here are a few pages from the journal that Wesley and I are sharing. The first week she went back to school, I got this moleskin journal for us to send back and forth while she was away. I got the idea from my pals Laura and Shannon who did a sketchbook journal together. This was my entry for February, the first day she went back to school after being home for a really nice long weekend together. It was cold and rainy and the house seemed so quiet without her here. I wanted to wrap myself in a warm blanket, but I went for weaving and watercolor instead. Nice company.

 Wesley did these pages while she was home on Christmas break and then left the journal here for me to see when she went back to school. Wrapping paper from a Christmas gift, the unicorn is from the Sufian Stevens Christmas concert she went to, and Django Unchained sketch and movie ticket stub.
 Wesley's watercolor. This was the first Halloween we have been apart since she was born. I got her two little pumkins for her dorm room, it was not the most fun Halloween for either of us.....
If you have a kid away at school or just away somewhere, I highly recommend doing this journal. It's been really fun to wait for it in the mail, getting the envelope and peeking inside to see what the newest pages are. I think it will be  great to look back at the end of the year and see what we have done.
I had a good week in the studio, bowls and cups made for a test ^6, today I made about 50 pendants, some clay stamps and a few tile ideas that I am working on for a raku firing. The little barns are nudging me at the back of my brain, they aren't completely gone yet, but they will be different, the ones I made last year are all I'm doing like that. Time to move forward, I am feeling the push.

10 comments:

Sherry said...

Such a beautiful idea! Keeping the connection alive in a meaningful way!

cookingwithgas said...

Great idea and I love that you are sharing it with us. I am heading to find my wool socks. Sweet dreams...

Amy said...

wow, great idea and thanks for sharing the entries- have had a journal off and on for a couple years now; hard to keep it going.... loved the rich colors in this journal.

Lori Buff said...

Brilliant, and it will have meaning for both of you forever.

Judi Tavill said...

LOVE the journal/ idea.... I wonder if I could get my guys to do it w me...

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing this.
just lovely.

littlemancat said...

Two talented and loving ladies! I love Wesley's pumpkin and the way your weaving seems a part of your wintery trees watercolor. Wonderful.
Mary

littlemancat said...

Two talented and loving ladies! I love Wesley's pumpkin and the way your weaving seems a part of your wintery trees watercolor. Wonderful.
Mary

Shannon said...

yea for journal corresponding! it has been so great for getting a glimpse into friends' lives and heads.

Anonymous said...

hi Tracey!
I am finally back home...
I LOVE this journal you are keeping with your daughter,
AND - thank you so much for the beautiful snail mail treasures you sent me while I was away helping my Dad with his new knee.

blog love forever,
xox - eb.