Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Yeah..... So?


an·ti·so·cial  
/ˌantēˈsōSHəl/
Adjective
  1. Contrary to the laws and customs of society; devoid of or antagonistic to sociable instincts or practices.
 I have been spending A LOT of time alone. I like it that way. Don't get me wrong.... I love my family, love my good friends, but I also really like being alone. I am an only child, and I have spent a lot of time alone my whole life. My mom used to worry because I didn't have many friends, but I was fine with that. Left me more time to day dream and make houses for Barbie.
I have been shopping for props this week for the play I'm working on, and wandering aimlessly through antique stores and thrift stores, driving down country roads. Nothing I love more.......
Today I met a really nice woman, we could be friends, probably good friends. She even invited herself to go along with me on a two hour drive to an antique place I love.... hmmmm.... that would mean taking time to work on a new friendship..... there is weaving and clay and kiln firing and child and husband and food to cook and a garden we have to get started soon and my other friends and my ALONE time..... how could I possibly fit another person into all this right now? As it is, I don't see my good friends I have now enough, I miss them some days, but they are busy like me, being artists. And Gerry, well he travels sooo much that when he is here, I want to be with him, and I want to be with Wesley as much as possible since she is away at school.
You, my blogger friends are so low maintenance, I like that. You pop in and say a quick hello, I go over and visit your blog, say hello and we are all good to go.
I really like the play I am working on, a musical about Walt Whitman, the props are awesome. Oh yeah, that's what those saws are in the first photo. There is a scene with carpenters. I got such a deal on these, $2 a piece! I LOVE shopping for props, I was born for it.  I also love weaving, clay I am sort of ok with right now, but bored with it and don't know what I want to do with it. So, I'm just making pendants, not bored with those, they are fun. Raku is fun. I am all about fun right now, last year was hard and not fun. I have been buying up more thrift store clothes. Working on a red, white and blue table runner that is looking mighty good.
A crow is cawing outside the window as I write this. Three were in the driveway when I came home yesterday. Ahhhh, the crows..... still on my mind.......

The crow is a spirit animal associated with life mysteries and magic.  The power of this bird as totem and spirit guide is provide insight and means of supporting intentions. Sign of luck, it is also associated with the archetype of the trickster; be aware of deceiving appearances.  If the crow has chosen you as your spirit or totem animal, it supports you in developing the power of sight, transformation, and connection with life’s magic.

http://www.spiritanimal.info/crow-spirit-animal/

24 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

Tracey, I spend a lot of time alone too. Everyone else seems to like it when I do.

Anonymous said...

oldest of four here, and often crave alone time. nice boys to live with, who go away during the day & come back, a few good friends, blog friends- yes, good to go, with more than enough (usually)!

gz said...

no, people don't understand when you need to be alone, to work or walk the mountain.

I use a saw like that to cut HTI bricks...feels good in the hand

Tracey Broome said...

So glad I have company in my aloneness:)

oldgreymare said...

yep..I'm also a member....

Just as "being busy" isn't always a sign of success or happiness
spending time alone is not a symptom of loneliness.

spending 2 days straight reading books with the phone shut off is heaven - 3 days digging in the dirt alone ditto..

Tracey Broome said...

YES! There is a club:)

Anna M. Branner said...

It's funny. When we first moved to C'ville I was lonely. I worked in my studio behind my house with no contact with anyone for days, especially after G left for his new job....a big change after working in a public pottery. Now that I have been working in that public space again I really miss that alone time! (And my own new space is done now...just need to organize it and get the kiln set up.)

Tracey Broome said...

Hey Anna I was thinking about you today and wondering what was up with you. I have this new habit of drinking a glass of chocolate soy milk every morning and your cup is the only one I seem to want for chocolate milk:)

beaquilter said...

im an only child too and love my alone time :) btw applied

Unknown said...

Hey Tracey! your posts always look so good! (i look at most on google reader, but yours i like to physically come over to, to see it in it's very fine blog context!... very important, some of us design the experience ;) Can i join the solitude club? It's one thing i truly miss.. and haven't found a way to. Folk find it hard to understand that you're not rejecting them! I share a studio and then i come home and share a house and family... yet i spent YEARS in my own place on my own.. and i value it. I often feel guilty that when i think of 'happy times' i associate many with being on my own and doing things alone. I spend way too much time making sure everyone else is ok otherwise. Crazy. I need to be a member. I need to find a hole to call my own.

littlemancat said...

Love doing things on my own, too. Often the best ideas come on my solitary walks. The world's a noisy [and nosy] place sometimes,and it feels good to be quiet.
Enjoyed what you posted about the crow - one of the names of the full moon this month is Crow Moon.
Mary

Tracey Broome said...

Hi Bea, yay, glad you took the plunge! Good luck
Scott, when Wes was a baby I really needed some alone time,but of course couldn't get it with a small baby, but Gery would watch her in the morning while I took a five mile walk/ run. That was my sanity time. As she got older, I got more time and space.... I just need some moments in the day for quiet.....
Hey Mary,yes walks are the best quiet space you can get, I agree! Wow, crow moon, I love that!

Lori Buff said...

I suspect that people who like themselves are the ones that really like their alone time.

Tracey Broome said...

Lori, I think you are right!

Amy said...

I agree with Lori--- and with what you said. I can't help but wondering if artists just love being alone. I mean, how else can one do it, if one doesn't have time to think and ponder and dream and create before anything is done? I love being alone. I love it that I'm in great company. :) thanks for reminding me how important 'me' time is.

Tracey Broome said...

Amy, seems we are mot alone with our aloneness,ha ha. That's why I think we all found blogging, we can be alone but not lonely.....

Sandy Miller said...

Oh god, I need a crow......

And why to all the flipp'n people around me keep invading my alone time because they feel sorry for me? Can't they hear me singing in my studio? And in my big outside voice I might add!

Toasting to all the perfectly happy alone people out here!
I think it's why I embrace the blog :)

Tracey Broome said...

I know, Sandy! With the blog, I can have visitors, and still get my work done, perfect combination, here's a toast to us!

Unknown said...

Count me in as another introvert! I love alone time, but sometimes can become 'isolating' which is different for me...I need to watch that tendency. It's a balance, I guess.

littlemancat said...

And then there's that book - "Quiet - the Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain- have you heard of it or read it? Something I might have to check into.
Mary

Michèle Hastings said...

I have always said that I am my own best company.

ang design said...

on ya trace! we sometimes are at our best alone! or is it a solitary retreat... love ya stuff as always sweet!

Tracey Broome said...

Wow, you guys, no wonder we all found each other! Cheers to all of you loners!

Shannon said...

I'm reading "Quiet," and yes, I would say we artists are very often introverts. You need to hang out in that deep internal quiet to process the really good stuff and articulate it out into the external space.