Friday, November 1, 2013

Raku Beads



Remember these? I submitted these images for a Lark Books call for beads about a year or so ago. Yesterday I got an email saying my raku beads image had been chosen for the book 1000 Beads Showcase. Nice!

Coincidentally, I have been in the studio this week making beads, just trying to get my hands on some clay and see how I feel about it. I liked making the small beads and working quietly, letting my mind wander. Not worrying about how many I needed to make to have any profit, not worrying about who would buy them, what gallery would call me, what photos I needed for submissions to this or that competition.

The whole business of pottery has really turned me off. Writing artists statements, trying to explain myself, answering idiotic questions at shows, fighting the weather, trying to have enough money to pay for booth space, taking photographs..... it just wears out your creative side.

I'm sure many of you have heard from Mr. Young's class in Guam. He gives an assignment every year to his students and gives out names of artists for them to contact with a list of questions. This year I got an email from one of his students. One of the questions asked was what advise I would give to a "blooming artist". Poor kid, my answer was "get a day job".  I know that answer sucks, and I sort of regret saying it, but this has been a tough year for artists, our communities are struggling to support them, and I for one am glad for the checks I get from the theater these days. 

Anyway, it was nice to be recognized and still feel like a viable artist. Thanks Lark!



Showcase 1000 Beads
by Kristina Logan
 
Pub Date: April 2014
ISBN: 9781454707882
Format: Paperback with Flaps, 420pp
all in color
8 X 8
Series: 500 Series
$27.95
CAN
$30.95
 
Buy
 
Celebrate the innovation and creative inspiration of contemporary beadmakers from around the world! This gorgeous volume in the popular Showcase series presents 1,000 unique beads, all handcrafted from a dazzling array of materials—including glass, polymer clay, ceramics, metal, paper, fiber, plastic, wood, and stone. Each one is a magnificent piece of art, whether on its own or in a piece of jewelry or other ornamentation.
Author Bio
Kristina Logan is the world's leading glass beadmaker. Her work has been exhibited in preeminent museums and institutions internationally, including the Smithsonian Museum of American Art; the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston; the Corning Museum of Glass; and the Musée du Verre de Sars-Poteries in France. She is a past president of the International Society of Glass Beadmakers, teaches regularly at leading schools in the US and Europe, and authored a chapter in The Penland Book of Glass (Lark). Kristina lives in Portsmouth, NH, and Provence, France.
 
Ray Hemachandra is the team lead for Lark Jewelry & Beading and the author of many books, including Showcase 500 Beaded Jewelryand The Penland Book of Glass. He lives in Asheville, NC. 

17 comments:

Laura Farrow said...

the universe sometimes says YES even when we say NO. congrats!! xo

smartcat said...

Congratulations! You've earned it!

June Perry said...

That is such great news Tracey! I'm so happy for you!
I chucked when I read what you told that student, because that was part of my morning contemplation. If I have a next life, I was thinking, I think I'd like to be a veterinarian or be a landscape designer or some other 9 to 5 job; and do pottery on the side. That way I'll always be eager to get in the studio and not have to deal with shows, deadlines, fickle buyers, etc.etc. Sounds good to me!

Peter said...

Stress, commissions, galleries and deadlines do have a way of taking away the simple joy of making things. I hope those little beads bring back some of the pleasure of working with clay for you.

Tracey Broome said...

Thanks ya'll, it's all about the fun for awhile, well earned break!

Michèle Hastings said...

hurray! your beads are great, it's no wonder that they were accepted.

I was an early childhood educator when i was younger. The local college sent a student to job shadow me for a day. At the end the student asked what advice I would give an early childhood education major... I said, "Marry well because you will never make much money."
Her teacher wasn't too happy with my very honest answer.

Tracey Broome said...

My mom used to tell me to marry a rich man, but I met Gerry when he was 19 and I knew I was going to mary him then, money or not!
Art and education certainly are not the best roads for money making, that's for sure!

Sandy Miller said...

OH WOW!! Congrats on Lark book!! The universe has a great way of communicating and going with the flow........... balance and flow and everything clicks!

I have been corresponding with one of Mr Young's students too......... ditto on the answers. Would love to sit in class for the reports from artists. I believe think I wrote back: make sure you have Plan B....... :)

Tracey Broome said...

Sandy, the Universe is sending loud messages to all of my family right now, pretty interesting!
Poor Mr. Young, teaching little artists and we are bursting their balloons. I got questions fram a student last year that were just brilliant, really made me think. Wish I had saved them....

Vicki said...

Huge congrats Tracey! Of course, I (and everyone else) knew your beautiful beads would be accepted :)

I hear you on the job vs creating/selling for yourself - I'm right in the middle of it now.
You're very fortunate to have such a great job. One that encompasses creative freedom (to a point), artistic styling and... a pay cheque.
I haven't been so lucky on finding a job, so, I'm focusing on what I can do. At this time of year, it's great, but mid-winter, it sucks.

That image of your raku work is so lovely. Well done, you deserve the recognition :)

Tracey Broome said...

Thanks Vicki, yes the pay check is nice, but it's very tiny:-)

Dennis Allen said...

Congrats on the recognition, a little goes a long way! If you ever do another show, I'll bet a dollars worth of beads is a whole lot lighter and more compact than a dollars worth of cereal bowls.

Susan Wells said...

Wow! Cool! Beautiful beads, beautiful photography, beautiful artist. Lark knows and so do we! Cograts Tracey. You're charmed!

Tracey Broome said...

Dennis, so right about that. I have done shows where the jewelers pack up a tiny case and leave long before I finish wrapping and packing a bunch of heavy pottery!
Awww, thanks Susan, you are a sweeeet girl!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous, gorgeous! congrats to you and your work.

Tracey Broome said...

Thanks Cindy, good photography helps!

Shannon said...

congrats on the book!! now, you can add a "bibliography" section to your resume.