Saturday, July 25, 2015

I had no idea!

I had my first meeting at the gym with a personal trainer this week. I used to work out three days a week, used weight machines, barbells, rowing machines, etc. I thought I was pretty familiar with all the fitness equipment you needed for a workout. But here's a new one: foam rollers! OMG

With my gym membership, I get two free sessions with a personal trainer, my first workout was worth every dime. He introduced me to the foam roller for myofacial massage.  The roller is like a deep tissue massage for trigger points in the main muscle groups and boy did I ever have some trigger points. After my workout I felt like I had been to a massage therapist for an hour. It was amazing. Rolling this thing on the side of my deltoid broke up all kinds of knots. The roller is used to massage tight muscles, break up adhesions and elongate the muscle to make it stronger and more flexible. I stopped on the way home and bought a roller to have when I can't get to the gym. I think anyone with pain or tightness in the muscles could really benefit from this little piece of equipment and I picked one up for around $10.

The trainer was great, almost like someone knew exactly what I needed and hand picked him for me. He is interested in holistic medicine and healing, follows a path of traditional Japanese zazen meditation, does not believe in drugs to solve all of your ailments, and believes in building the core of your body through good nutrition and working the body in a more traditional way, instead of sitting at a weight machine and letting it do all the work. I think I'm going to like this guy!

Already my body feels better, and I think mentally I feel better, just knowing I am back to taking better care of my body. I'm not so far gone that I can't get it back in shape with a little focus and effort.  I have started taking fish oil and magnesium to help repair my joints and I'm having a smoothie every morning with hemp protein and ground flax meal.  I am beginning to feel some relief in my elbow. Whoop!
I'll keep you posted!





10 comments:

Vicki said...

A foam roller is one of the best investments I've ever made for the family.
We have one of the long ones (900mm) and all of us use it regularly to "iron out kinks", especially in the back.
After rolling it horizontally down the back, it feels so good to finish the session by lying on it lengthways - supporting the head down to the tail bone - arms down by the side, opening up the rib cage and gently stretching the spine. I swear I feel taller when I stand up again!
We call it "the sausage" at home, and after four years, I couldn't imagine life without it.
Enjoy your foam roller :)

Dennis Allen said...

Never heard of these. Thanks

Laurie said...

Makes perfect sense. I've just put one on my wishlist. Good to know Vicki's experience with the long one too. Thank you both for sharing!

Michèle Hastings said...

My daughter runs and does kickboxing at the gym. The foam roller is her friend!

Peggy said...

Reading your last few posts, all I can say is, thank you for sharing your continuing journey. Your story mirrors my own in so many ways; and many others I'm sure. The tangible affects of physical therapy and exercise is one of life's greatest gifts.

ang design said...

Hi Trace, just popped over for a catch up! ;) ya baby's all grown up and heading on out! all the best with your workouts!!

Lori Buff said...

I didn’t know about these either but if you feel like you’ve had a massage after your workout I’m impressed and intrigued. I’ll have to check them out. Thanks.

Susan said...

When my fibromyalgia was at its worst, I discovered myofascial release/trigger point therapy and it got me walking upright and able to bend and move again. My trigger point guy introduced me to foam rollers, the back buddy http://www.amazon.com/Body-Back-Buddy-Self-Massage-Tool/dp/B0006VJ6TO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438347062&sr=8-1&keywords=back+buddy, and using a racquetball [invaluable while sitting (sitting is the worst!) in a plane, car or during a conference call.] I have acquired these tools myself now and rarely have to see him any more. Lifesavers!

Shanell Custer said...

Having a good trainer means that you’re in great hands. While exercising can be quite exhausting, it can also be very satisfying both physically and mentally, if guided properly. And those rollers will really come in handy when you’re cooling down from more rigorous exercises later on, so it’s good that your trainer introduced it to you first and foremost. Thank you for sharing about that, Tracey! Cheers!

Shanell Custer @ Sage Health and Wellness

Unknown said...

One of the things I learned this year was to try and squeeze in some little exercise when doing normal things around the house. Now when I am watching football on the weekend I stand on one foot and hold position as long as I can. I do push-ups off the kitchen counter while standing to improve my arm strength.

Brooke Burgess @ East West College