Thursday, April 23, 2020

New Moon in Taurus


"The new moon in Taurus, we are called to stand still in the new dark, to collect our restlessness until our bodies thrum with it, to let our visions adjust to the reality before we start to move."

Wesley has started doing quick paintings of her dreams. They are on brown craft paper, quick movements, simple designs and they are really charming to look at. She has been much more structured and routine focused than I have been during this stay at home period. 

We have all turned inward to find whatever we need to get through these days. It has been painting, writing, exercise, reading for Wes. Gerry is making photos during the week, playing his music at night, and growing vegetable starts for the garden on the weekends, I have been reading every cookbook I own and exploring new foods, new techniques, preparing healthy and pretty dang good meals. I learned finally to poach an egg, I make homemade corn tortillas and I am making pasta with my pasta maker. I am also making my way through classics that I never read in high school but probably should have. Hemingway's Old Man and the Sea touched me deeply and I am still in awe of how such a tiny book about a man, a boat and a fish could be so powerful and fill my head with so many questions. 

It has continued to be cold and cloudy (for me anyway). I am a beach girl and I prefer to garden when its 80 degrees outside, not 50.  So I will be out there soon. I did manage to plant green beans and cowpeas yesterday, and some epazote and we have so much kale and spinach, we eat it almost every day in some form. 

I am slowly muddling through a lot of emotions, searching for answers, looking for a path. It has been a very hard winter. It has been sad, it has been gray, it has been an effort some days just to get up. I think the sadness found its way to me in October when my step dad died, and things have not let up since. The holidays are so hard for me, my mom has been very difficult, (something for another day to talk about) and now this pandemic. In many ways I am grateful for this slow time, this time to stand still in the new dark.......

5 comments:

Michèle Hastings said...

Good to read your words again. It has been interesting to hear how everyone is handling this pandemic. I have work to do, orders to fill (very thankful) but have had to force myself to work in clay. I spend my days painting, printing, cutting, and gluing. Getting outside to exercise had been a top priority.

oldgreymareprimitives said...

We are simpatico- I just emailed you a letter and talked about your path. <3 We'll find our way.

littlemancat said...

I am so happy to see you again! I don't know if you remember me,probably not, but I always admired your energy and passion about life. I don't have a blog but hope you don't mind a non-blogger commenting.
As an introvert, I don't mind the social distancing and have been doing much more reading and writing. If you ever would like, email me and I'll send you links to my haibun and tanka prose.
Again, lovely to see and hear your thoughts again.
Mary

Tracey Broome said...

Mary, of course I remember you, I always loved your comments!! Hope you are well
Michele, I feel like I am on your morning walks with you through instagram, enjoying the photos
Z- xoxo

phandorabox said...

Great blog post, thanks for sharing.