Sunday, January 11, 2009

Art and Tamales

If I can combine good food, art, laughter and good friends all in one day, it's a good day. Today was one of those days. Trust me if there is fun to be had, I am going to have it! Susan Wells and I took our kids to the art museum in Raleigh today, which by the way, is a bit depleted right now due to their huge expansion project. Still some great art to see and going at 10:30 on a Sunday morning is like being in the church of art. Very peaceful and serene. We stopped at a local taqueria on the way home and had what I think are the best tamales I have every eaten in my life. Maybe one of the best meals I have ever had! The tamales were so fresh and wrapped in banana leaves with a hint of a smoky flavor. Unreal!
For some odd reason it had a cow on the top of the building and also for some odd reason the kids wanted to pop the top on the van. So we looked like we were camping out at the taco stand. Looked like a bunch of fools I'm sure to the local Hispanic residents!
So this little guy is stirring some big inspiration somewhere in my soul. Read below about him. The rest of the photos also give me some great inspiration and I think the fog may be lifting!

Cool patterns for stamps. These were coins, how come our coins are so plain? I want some of these in my pockets!
Raku?
Serving bowl?
Kid's camp totem making pinch pots and animal sculptures. I can't wait to do this!
Raku boxes, maybe......
time to rock and roll.......

5 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

okay- give it up! Where is the taqueria???? I have been hunting for GOOD tamales forever and you can not find them here.
:)
Wonderful pottery thanks for sharing.

Tracey Broome said...

This place is on Chapel Hill Road in Durham. Not the very best neighborhood, but everyone there was really nice to us. This was the very most amazing tamale I have ever had. As Susan said, it is not from this world!

Laura Farrow said...

Hey Tracey,
I have a book of African Sculpture that has many photos of different spiritual/medicinal/voodoo-ish figures very much like the guy you saw at the museum if you wish to borrow it. Glad you got the mojo risin'. xo

Tracey Broome said...

Laura:
Yes please! I would love to borrow that book. Amy is in my Raku class, wish you could be there with us.

Linda Starr said...

I once made tamales from scratch, a ton of work, best to find them somewhere premade. What an inspirational trip to the museum, I might have to take trip to our local ones, never thought of that for inspiration but in cold weather it might be the thing to do. I have updated my blogroll to include yours.