Thursday, February 24, 2011

Vanna White

I meant to include this in the style blog seven things I haven't written about thing, but I forgot it. I've had a weird week of ups and downs, and the camera batteries are dead, so here is a filler post. The eighty's disco queen look there would be me and the guy in the black tie and jacket was my friend Chip White, behind him his sister Vanna. Whenever I tell anyone I'm from Myrtle Beach, the first thing they say is "do you know Vanna White". Well, I knew of Vanna and saw her from time to time, but her brother Chip and I were good friends. That's Vanna behind Chip with some security guard at the Furniture Market in High Point when Vanna was a spokesperson for Spring Air Mattress. I was working in a showroom nearby and met them one day for lunch. This was the fuster cluck I got myself into. When I lived at the beach, disco was the shite and I was at a club every night dancing, usually with Chip and his roommate there on the right, Jack Henderson, great dancers and lots of fun to be with. I heard that he works for Vanna in Hollywood for Wheel of Fortune, but I haven't seen him in years. Would love to know what he is up to. Chip, if you read my blog, give me a shout sometime, haha!

5 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

rubbing elbows with the big boys!
Now i want to see you dance!

John Bauman said...

Can I buy a vowel?

My aunt & uncle used to own the "El Rancho Motel" in Myrtle Beach. It was (therefore) a family vacation destination as I was growing up. Due in part to the family connection, by brother went to University of SC -- learned to shagg and brought it and beach music back to Indiana with him.

We have old movies -- color now faded from their jumpy images -- that dad shot while driving the roads around Myrtle Beach in the 60s. We later took that old footage and had it somewhat restored and put a fitting David Rose Orchestra soundtrack behind it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oT4pXNacMA

Tracey Broome said...

Hey Meredith, I'll come dance with you one of these days! John that is a great story, I bet my mom knows your aunt and uncle, she has lived there for over 50 years. I know exactly where the El Rancho was, not sure if it's still there, they are tearing down all of the old places that actually had character.

Michèle Hastings said...

just read john's comment... being new to the south i learned about beach music two weeks ago. i had no clue that it had nothing to do with the beach boys! jeff and i were at a party and met a woman named terri gore who has been singing beach music at Myrtle Beach since 80's.
i never knew that vanna was from myrtle beach... so much to learn about life in the south!

Indian Creek Studios said...

you have been chosen to receive the Awesome Blog Award!
Pam, http://pampots.blogspot.com/