I have been trying some recipes out before the monks get here, looking for things that have simple ingredients and are easy and quick to make. I tested these parathas last week and served them with a bowl of vegetable curry. Really good and really easy. I got the recipe from a Nepal website, but I thought this photo was nice and I like the way the directions are written, fun to read. There are lots of recipes for paratha, just google if this recipe challenges you. Most any vegetable can be used, we had potato ones and we will be having them a lot around here. I changed the recipe directions slightly because I just roll that way, but they were still great.
- Wheat Flour ( I only had unbleached white flout but it was fine)
- Onion(4-5 medium size) ( I used 1 green onion)
- Garlic (1 clove)
- Ginger (1/4 tsp. I am adding these quantities , they aren't given!)
- Cumin (1/2 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Potato(2-3 medium size)
- Red Chili Powder (1/4 tsp or hotter if you like)
- Green Chili(1-2)
I also used 1/4 tsp of anise seed and it gave them a very nice fragrance and flavor. The recipe from the NEpal site used them. I would have posted that one but now I can't find it and I just scribbled down the ingredients, of course.....
- गेहूं का आटा
- प्याज (4-5 मध्यम आकार)
- आलू (2-3 मध्यम आकार)
- लाल मिर्च पाउडर
- हरी मिर्च (1-2)
Steps To Cook:
- Boil Potato ( आलू ) for some time.
- Take it out of water,and peel its skin and mash it thoroughly.
- Cut Onion ( प्याज ), Garlic ( लहसुन ), Ginger ( अदरक ) into very small pieces.
- Add Salt ( नमक ), Cumin ( जीरा ), Red Chili Powder ( लाल मिर्च पाउडर ), Green Chili ( हरी मिर्च ) to it and mix it again.
- Now make a dough out of Flour ( गेहूं का आटा ).
- After you have made it,take small piece of it and make cup like structure out of it.
- Now fill that cup like structure with the above stuffs that you prepared.
- Seal(close) the open portion.
- Now flatten it slowly and make it 3 to 4 cm in diameter.
- Heat Tawa and put some oil to it and spread it all over the tawa.
- Put this flattened dough on tawa. Heat on one side and then overturn it.
- Put oil on both sides and heat it again for some time.
Note:If you want crispy parathas then heat it in a low flame.
Cooking time : 15 minute